Portland!Where Are You From? Oregon Members and Beyond

• Thread starter Kerrie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers various locations of the participants, including Oregon, Maine, Philadelphia, Wisconsin, Kansas, Singapore, Australia, Detroit, Sacramento, Cleveland, Kansas City, North and South America, Jordan, Israel, Chicago, Troy, East Greenbush, LeMars, Washington DC, Texas, and more. There is also a brief discussion about religion and its similarities with other belief systems. One participant is in the RPI Tech Park in North Greenbush, and another is from the Crossroads area in Texas. Overall, there is a diverse mix of backgrounds and locations among the participants.
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Just curious, for those of you who did not fill in a "real" location on this planet as to where you are, where you from?

I see a lot of our members are from Oregon...great state for brilliant minds

Me, I am in the biggest city in Oregon...

Physics news on Phys.org
Having traveled here and there and everywhere my entire life I can't really say where I might be "from" :wink: but I did some how manage to settle here in the beautiful backwoods of Maine.

Just outside of Philadelphia, PA, USA

I actually live in wisconsin. but i go to school where kerrie is from.

i live in Lawrence, KS at the moment. i guess i could say i am "from" here as i have lived here longer than i have anywhere else; before that i have lived in quite a few states as well as Korea and Germany, that was a big plus of being the son of a career military man.:smile:

I go to school in salt lake city, but still call boise idaho home.

Singapore.

are you Mormon climbhi?

canberra, australia
although i went to school in toulouse (southern france) for a while

I am "from" Puerto Rico, but I live in White Cloud, MI (I guess I might just as well say "middle of nowhere", as no one is likely to know where "White Cloud" is).

From: Holland (NL, not MI), staying in Detroit, MI for the moment.. going back to study in Amsterdam in winter, jeeejh!

Sacramento, California. God this town blows... At least I am close to San Fransico.

Riverside, CA

Near Cleveland, Ohio.

Originally posted by kyleb
are you Mormon climbhi?

Yes, I'd point out though that I'm not originally from Salt Lake City, I was born in California. So even though I think you asked that becuase I'm from SLC, I haven't always been here, in fact I haven't even lived here for a year.

My family is Mormon and I have experienced both California Mormon's and Utah Mormons - let state that the difference is great...

I'm in Kansas City, KS, now, but I'm planning on going back to California as soon as I can. :) Also I lived in Tehran, Iran for a couple years when I was a kid.

Originally posted by climbhi
Yes, I'd point out though that I'm not originally from Salt Lake City, I was born in California. So even though I think you asked that becuase I'm from SLC, I haven't always been here, in fact I haven't even lived here for a year.

oh you i caught that, i was just guessing because i know that a lot of people of that faith go to school in SLC; i was just there last october to watch my cousin get married actually. the reason i asked was because i wanted to point out the similarily between LDS and Freemasonry/Rosicrucianism, a lot of people are unaware of such things and i think it is something that people should know, espesialy if they practice such beleifs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Kerrie
Just curious, ... where you are, where you from?
I am in transit back and forth between North and South America. I have no definite nationality (despite what a passport might say) due to the confused geography of my birthplace. What I might claim and what might actually be could be two different things. Being born 'on the fence' I take what is convenient at a given time.

Originally posted by kyleb
the reason i asked was because i wanted to point out the similarily between LDS and Freemasonry/Rosicrucianism, a lot of people are unaware of such things and i think it is something that people should know, espesialy if they practice such beleifs.
I'm sorry I guess I don't know what you're referring to.

well it is a complicated topic climbhi which is why i just eluded to it in the hopes that you might look into it yourself. however, sense you asked and so as not to hijack this thread any more than i have, i started another thread in the religion forums here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=523

i am in jordan now but i am from ISRAEL i left my family there and traveled i hope i can returne ...

I am from the Chicago area (just south of that Great City), and I live near my school in Troy, NY.

zaa right behind you with a chocking wire

ok but really i am in the big crab apple NJ

!East Greenbush NY!

Woohoo no one knows where that is.:frown:

If there is a bright center of the universe, I am in the point farthest from it. LeMars, Iowa...

...and yes, Iowa is a state in the United States. We do not grow potatoes.

I was born an raised in Philadelphia, PA. I've lived just outside of Washington DC for a while now though.

Njorl

Originally posted by Zeth22
!East Greenbush NY!

Woohoo no one knows where that is.:frown:

*ahem*

I just said I live in Troy! I am typing this message at work at the RPI Tech Park in North Greenbush.

I am from an area of Texas known as the Crossroads.

No, I do not speak with a "Southern drawl". However, I do have a hard time distinguishing a genuine Texas accent.

Yes, there are cowboys in Texas; most of the ones here carry cell-phones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Kerrie
Just curious, for those of you who did not fill in a "real" location on this planet as to where you are, where you from?

I see a lot of our members are from Oregon...great state for brilliant minds

Me, I am in the biggest city in Oregon...

Hey Kerri I am soooo glad you said that! That way I won't sound stuck up! I am from the other big city in Oregon...Home of the Ducks! Birds of a feather flock together ;)

i was just in eugene the other day:smile:

Originally posted by RageSk8
Sacramento, California. God this town blows... At least I am close to San Fransico.

me too. Very boring city. Why is it the capital? LA or San Fransisco hould be the capital!

Anyhow, I'm from Ethiopia (for those of you who don't know, its in East Africa. And no,we don't live with wild animals ).

Born in London. Live in Tennessee, which I have come to via homes in Denmark, Greece, Lapland, Norway and Kenya.

Born in Florida, lived all over the South, back in Florida, still learning to (re)count

Am I the only living in Canada heh?

I live in Montreal.