Master Algebra: Tips for Expanding (2X+Y)^5

• Thread starter socialcoma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to expand the expression (2x+y)^5 using successive multiplications and the Binomial Expansion (also known as Newton's Expansion). The process involves using Pascal's Triangle and substituting 2x for a and y for b in the coefficients.
socialcoma
(2X+Y)^5
can someone tell me how to expand this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just do successive multiplications:

(2x+y)(2x+y)(2x+y)(2x+y)(2x+y)

Multiply the first two:

(4x2+4xy+y2)(2x+y)(2x+y)(2x+y)

Then the next two, etc. It's messy, but straightforward.

i know how to do that, but thanks for you replay. i am trying to find a faster way. possibly using factorials

You use

the Binomial Expansion, also known as Newtons Expansion.

how do you do Newtons expansion?

Do you know Pascal Triangle? Or have you learned combinations, Cnr, before?

Newton's binomial (a.k.a. Newton's expansion) is this:

(a+b)^n=(a^n)+(n*((a^(n-1))*b))+((n*(n-1)*(a^(n-2))*b^2)/(2!))+((n*(n-1)*(n-2)*(a^(n-3))*b^3)/(3!))+...+(b^n)

n can be any rational number

Last edited:
Or shorter

(a+b)^n=SUM (from m=0 to n) C(m out of n)*a^m*b^(n-m)

Damn can I turn on the HTML code?

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I can help you with that.

This is how it goes from a simple binomial theorem:

(a+b)0=1 since anything to the power of zero is 1

(a+b)1=a+b

(a+b)2=a2+2ab+b2

(a+b)3=a3+3a2b+3ab2+b3

As we go on and on we can clearly see that a pattern is emerging. Look at the next post just following this.

First, notice that if we add the powers for a and b the result is always equal to the original power given to the term.

For example in (a+b) 2= a 2+2ab+b 2 notice that power in each term is always equal to 2. The first a2, the second a 1 and b 1 and again 1+1 is equal 2. The same goes for a3+3a2b+3ab3+b3 and on and on.
Go to the next coming post.

Second, it is apparent that power decreases from a, and increases in b as we go forward.

For example in (a+b)5=a 5 b 0+ a 4 b 1 + a 3 b 2 + a 2 b 3 + a 1 b 4 + a 0 b 5.
As it must become obvious from the above, a starts with power 5 and goes to power 0 and b starts with power 0 and goes to power 5. Of course in the above we are missing the coefficient for each term. Now I show you how to find them.

To make writing the coefficients clear I rewrite the above powering using only coefficients.

i.e. how many of each kind of term:
(a + b)
1 1 0+
0 1 1
-------
1 2 1 0
(a + b)2
1 2 1 0+
0 1 2 1
----------
(a + b) 3
1 3 3 1 0 +
0 1 3 3 1
-------------
(a + b) 4
1 4 6 4 1 +

0 1 4 6 4 1
---------------------------
a + b) 5
1 5 10 10 5 1

This is what is known as Pascal's Triangle. The last thing that you have to do is substitute 2x for a and y for b in the above. Good luck
:wink:

1. What is the formula for expanding (2X+Y)^5?

The formula for expanding (2X+Y)^5 is (2X+Y)(2X+Y)(2X+Y)(2X+Y)(2X+Y).

2. How do I start expanding (2X+Y)^5?

You can start expanding (2X+Y)^5 by using the binomial theorem, which states that (a+b)^n = Σ(n, k=0) (n choose k) a^(n-k) b^k, where n is the exponent, a and b are the terms, and Σ(n, k=0) represents the summation of all possible combinations.

3. What are the coefficients for each term in the expansion of (2X+Y)^5?

The coefficients for each term in the expansion of (2X+Y)^5 are 1, 5, 10, 10, 5, and 1.

4. Can I simplify the expanded form of (2X+Y)^5?

Yes, you can simplify the expanded form of (2X+Y)^5 by combining like terms. For example, 5(2X)^3Y^2 can be simplified to 40X^3Y^2.

5. How can I use the expansion of (2X+Y)^5 in real-life applications?

The expansion of (2X+Y)^5 can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can help you model and solve problems involving combinations, probabilities, and binomial distributions.