Taking the reciproque of a partial derivative (as seen in thermodynamics)?

In summary, In thermodynamics, the equation \frac{1}{\frac{dX}{dY}} = \frac{dY}{dX} is always true and does not require any special conditions. This can be used to simplify calculations, such as finding \left(\frac{dV}{dT}\right)_P by first calculating \left(\frac{dT}{dV}\right)_P (which is easier) and then taking the reciprocal. However, it should be noted that the resulting derivative may be a function of a different variable, so some rearranging may still be necessary. In thermodynamics, state variables are viewed more as numbers or relations rather than functions, so there is no need to isolate variables when taking
nonequilibrium
Hello, I'm a first year physics student and in thermodynamics we always use [tex] \frac{1}{ \frac{dX}{dY} } = \frac{dY}{dX} [/tex] and I was wondering 'how true' this is, i.e. what are the conditions for this to be true? For example, if I have the equation of state of a Vanderwaals gas: [tex]\left( P + \frac{an^2^}{V^2^}\right) \left(V + bn \right) = nRT[/tex] and I want to find [tex]\left( \frac{dV}{dT} \right)_P[/tex], can I just calculate [tex]\left( \frac{dT}{dV} \right)_P[/tex] (which is much easier) and then take the reciproque?

(If not, is there another way?)

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can do that. But note that you won't simplify things as your derivative will be a function of V so it's not necessarily easier to rearrange it for a function of T (like the first derivative would be).

Oh, it is always true? That's nice :) I thought there could be a problem if your function isn't injective.

And I don't get what you mean by "not easier"? To differentiate V with respect to T, you have to isolate V, which seems pretty much impossible, yet on the other hand, if you can differentiate T with respect to V, T is already isolated and then you just differentiate with the product rule and you're done. (and then take the reciproque)

I guess there are some conditions on local properties. But as differentiating is a local operation, you don't have to worry about global behaviour. In physics things are well behaved ;)

I meant if you are asked dV/dT as a function of T, then your second method would rather yields 1/ (dT/dV) being a function of V. Then you'd still have to substitutde for V if you wanted to make it a function of T.

Well in thermodynamics we don't see state variables too much like functions, but more like numbers or relations (so there's no need to isolate, unless you want to take the partial derivative)

Btw, it's an insight from thermodynamics that you can use to get more intuition for partial derivatives.

To find [tex]\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\right)_z[/tex] you just calculate with the more intuitive total differentials and write
[tex]\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\right)_z=\frac{dy}{dx}\qquad(dz=0)[/tex]
where the RHS is a normal division and not meant to imply differentiation.

Related to Taking the reciproque of a partial derivative (as seen in thermodynamics)?

1. What is the purpose of taking the reciproque of a partial derivative in thermodynamics?

The reciproque of a partial derivative in thermodynamics is used to find the inverse relationship between two variables. This is essential in understanding how changes in one variable affect the other variable in a system.

2. How is the reciproque of a partial derivative calculated in thermodynamics?

To calculate the reciproque of a partial derivative, we use the chain rule from calculus. This involves taking the partial derivative of the function with respect to one variable and then dividing it by the partial derivative of the other variable with respect to the same variable.

3. What does the reciproque of a partial derivative tell us about a system in thermodynamics?

The reciproque of a partial derivative tells us about the sensitivity of a system to changes in one variable, while keeping the other variable constant. It helps us understand the relationship between two variables in a system and how changes in one variable affect the other.

4. Are there any limitations to using the reciproque of a partial derivative in thermodynamics?

Yes, there are limitations to using the reciproque of a partial derivative in thermodynamics. It assumes that the system is in a steady state and that the variables are continuous and differentiable. It also does not account for any external factors that may affect the system.

5. Can the reciproque of a partial derivative be used in other fields besides thermodynamics?

Yes, the reciproque of a partial derivative is a mathematical concept that can be applied in various fields, such as economics, physics, and engineering. It is used to understand the relationship between two variables and how changes in one variable affect the other.