Taking Projectile Motion to make Planetary Trajectories

In summary, the author is trying to find equations that will allow them to map the movement of a planetary body on a polar coordinate sheet, and also allow them to find information such as the perigee and apogee radii. They have been using Kepler's equations and guessing the eccentricity of the orbit, but they are not satisfied with this method. They have also been looking into projectile motion, but are not sure if the computer would have a problem with their equation. They have been able to get a rough approximation of the trajectory using Newton's gravitational law and the Second law of motion, but they would like to simplify the equation further.
10Exahertz
Hi all I have been trying to find A set of equations that can allow me to map the movement of a planetary body on a polar coordinate sheet (a 2-D Problem). As well as allow me to find out about information such as the perigee and apogee radaii.
So far i have been using Keplers equations and guessing the eccentricity of the orbit. But that is not really a good way of approaching it. However, I couldn't figure out how to do it with Keplers equations so I turned to Projectile Motion. I am currently trying to figure out how to use the basic projectile motion diff eq to map a planets orbital trajectory. Only problem I haven't tried to account for yet is that the normal projectile motion equations seem to assume a flat earth.
I have attached a screenshot of some of my work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170719-174058.png
    Screenshot_20170719-174058.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 537
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's pretty easy to apply Newton's gravitational law and the Second law of motion (any co ordinates you want) and do a step by step approach to give an animation. Start with a given velocity and position and apply the gravitational acceleration over a short time Δt. That gives you another position and velocity. The piecewise linear approach will introduce a small error but reducing the step size can reduce it as much as you want.
Re "flat Earth"; the acceleration you need is not constant g (flat Earth) but GM/r2, directed along the radius from the Sun. I did this on a Psion 3a, many years ago with a compiled 'Basic' language. You could leave it running for a long time before the orbit precessed noticeably. It's not a very sophisticated method by you can find perigee and apogee easily enough by finding the turning values of r.

Well I created an equation but its implicitly defined. I am not sure if the computer would have a problem with this. But I do considering i would like to be able to map this out without the assistance of a computer.
Here is what I have gotten so far(linked image), but maybe I am overthinking the simplification. Any help in simplifying this so its only dependent on r would be helpful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170720-165516.png
    Screenshot_20170720-165516.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 492

Related to Taking Projectile Motion to make Planetary Trajectories

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, usually due to a force such as gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is projectile motion used to create planetary trajectories?

The principles of projectile motion are used to calculate the trajectory of a spacecraft or satellite as it orbits around a planet or other celestial body. By considering the gravitational force of the planet and the initial velocity of the spacecraft, scientists can predict its path and make adjustments as needed.

3. What are the key factors that influence projectile motion and planetary trajectories?

The key factors that influence projectile motion and planetary trajectories include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the gravitational force of the planet, and any external forces such as air resistance.

4. How is mathematics used to model and predict projectile motion and planetary trajectories?

Mathematical equations, such as the equations of motion and the law of universal gravitation, are used to model and predict projectile motion and planetary trajectories. These equations take into account the various factors that influence the motion of objects in space.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding projectile motion and planetary trajectories?

Understanding projectile motion and planetary trajectories is crucial for space exploration and satellite communication. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics, where knowledge of motion and trajectory is necessary for designing and analyzing various systems and structures.