Taking negative/positive square roots

In summary, when solving the equation x^2 = 4, you only need to use the plus or minus sign on one side of the equation. This is because the plus or minus sign represents two different equations and putting it on both sides can lead to redundant or incorrect solutions. It is important to pay attention to the logic behind the equations and not just follow a set rule.
myink
Let's say that the variable 'x' is definitely some negative number.

So if I wanted to solve:

[tex]x^2 = 4[/tex]

I get:

[tex]\pm \sqrt{x^2} = \pm \sqrt{4}[/tex]
[tex]\pm x = \pm 2[/tex]

I would have to take the positive value of 'x' and the negative value of '2' to make this true...is it okay to only take a positive square root of one side of the equation and the negative square root of the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, you only put the plus or minus on one side or the other. It doesn't matter which side because either way gives you the same result. If you put it on both sides, the usual reading of the plus or minus implies plus corresponds with plus, minus with minus, and that's not what you need to happen. It's more like you have four cases:

[tex]+x = +2 \quad \text{ or } +x = -2 \quad \text{ or } -x = +2 \quad \text{ or } -x = -2[/tex]

Two of those are redundant, and you can get enough information out of the equation with one plus or minus sign to do the job.

Oh, thank you. I was just accustomed to learning that if you perform one operation to one side of the equation, you have to do the equivalent on the other so I thought plus/minus square root on one side would mean I have to do exactly plus/minus square root to the other. I guess this is some sort of exception, as you explained it?

hi myink! :smile:
myink said:
I was just accustomed to learning that if you perform one operation to one side of the equation, you have to do the equivalent on the other …

but ± isn't an operation, it's two operations …

an equation with ± in it is really two different equations, written as one to save space!

btw, Muphrid :smile: is completely correct …
Muphrid said:
If you put it on both sides, the usual reading of the plus or minus implies plus corresponds with plus, minus with minus, and that's not what you need to happen.

… "± x = ±2" means "x = 2 or -x = -2", it doesn't allow for x = -2 :wink:

nvm I was beaten to it :)

Related to Taking negative/positive square roots

What is the process for taking the negative or positive square root of a number?

The process for taking the negative or positive square root of a number involves finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. This can be done by using a calculator or by hand using the square root algorithm.

What is the difference between a negative square root and a positive square root?

The main difference between a negative square root and a positive square root is their sign. A positive square root is always represented as a positive number, while a negative square root is represented as a negative number. Additionally, when taking the square root of a positive number, there are two possible solutions (one positive and one negative), while taking the square root of a negative number will result in a complex number.

When should I use the negative square root instead of the positive square root?

The choice between using the negative or positive square root depends on the context of the problem. For example, if you are solving a physics problem involving projectile motion, the negative square root may be used to represent the downward direction. In other cases, using the positive square root may make more sense mathematically.

Can the square root of a negative number ever be a real number?

No, the square root of a negative number cannot be a real number. This is because when we square a real number, the result is always positive. However, the square root of a negative number can be a complex number, which has both a real and imaginary component.

What are some real-world applications of taking negative or positive square roots?

Taking negative or positive square roots is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to solve problems involving distance, speed, and acceleration, as well as in calculating interest rates and loan payments. It is also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages.