Taking Calc 2 in the summer - good or bad idea?

In summary, the class will be 6-8 weeks long, and you'll be okay as long as you don't expect to learn too much from the class and you're familiar with the basics of integration.
selig5560
Hi,

Has anyone taken calc 2 at a CC in the summer? I'm thinking of doing it so I can get to calc 3 faster. I'm worried that it might be too fast and I won't be able to absorb the material which will prepare me for calc 3. If this is too vague, I'll elaborate ;).

Thanks,

S

Physics news on Phys.org
How many weeks will the class be?

I did, wasn't too bad, got a B. Half the tests were take home though. I don't think I learned the material that well, and I probably couldn't tell you if a series converged, or how to do more complicated integrals. However, I feel like those two topics can easily be looked up, and I just use MATLAB to do my integrals now anyways.

Don't worry about calc 3, it really doesn't build off calc 2. Calc 2 is all about series and techniques of integration. I'm assuming the class is 6-8 weeks.

What I think RugbyEng means that at his school, Calc 3 doesn't build on Calc 2. There's a great degree of variation in what is taught when.

selig5560 said:
Hi,

Has anyone taken calc 2 at a CC in the summer? I'm thinking of doing it so I can get to calc 3 faster. I'm worried that it might be too fast and I won't be able to absorb the material which will prepare me for calc 3. If this is too vague, I'll elaborate ;).

Thanks,

S

I think you'll be okay. I had an easy professor for my calc II class the fall before last, and I didn't absorb much from the class. I'm in differential equations now and I don't find myself needing anything from calc II, except integration by parts, integration by partial fraction decomposition, and some familiarity with infinite series. Everything to do with calculus in parametric coordinates was retaught in my statics class.

But at least in my experience there's little overlap between calc II and calc III, except the integration techniques and the familiarity gained by exposure to parametric calculus.

Related to Taking Calc 2 in the summer - good or bad idea?

1. Is taking Calc 2 in the summer a good idea?

It depends on your individual circumstances. If you are able to dedicate enough time and effort to the course, it can be a good option. However, if you struggle with math or have other commitments during the summer, it may be better to take the course during the regular school year.

2. Will the pace of the summer course be too fast?

Summer courses are typically condensed, so the pace will be faster than a regular semester. You will need to be prepared to learn and understand concepts quickly. However, many students find that the focused and intensive nature of a summer course can actually be beneficial for their learning.

3. Is the material covered in the summer course the same as the regular course?

Yes, the material covered in a summer course should be the same as a regular course. However, since the course is condensed, some topics may be covered more briefly or in a different order. It is important to check with the course syllabus and your professor to make sure you are covering all the necessary material.

4. Will I have enough time to study and complete assignments in a summer course?

It is important to carefully consider your schedule and commitments before enrolling in a summer course. While the class time may be shorter, the workload and pace may be more intense. Make sure you have enough time and energy to dedicate to the course to ensure your success.

5. Can I still receive help and support from my professor and peers in a summer course?

Yes, your professor should still be available for office hours and support during a summer course. Additionally, you can also seek help from tutors or form study groups with your classmates. It is important to take advantage of all available resources to succeed in the course.