Take fall semester off to study for PGRE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best time to study for the PGRE, with the suggestion of postponing the final semester to have more time for studying. However, it is recommended to focus on doing well in classes and consistently reviewing throughout the undergraduate years instead of cramming before the test.
jaydnul
So the way my schedule is looking, I will be finished after a fall semester. Now I want to do an REU during that summer leading into the fall, so I won't really be studying then, which is from what I understand, when most people do their studying for the PGRE. Would it be best to postpone my final semester for the spring, and just use the full fall semester to study for the PGRE?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds a bit overboard to me, but what do I know. I studied for and took the Physics GRE (and the regular one too) while taking my normal course load.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but based on your posting history, I think that you should be planning on spending as much time as you can studying for the GRE. You've got a way to go before you're ready for grad school.

Well that makes sense considering I am in freshman level physics courses. Goodness...just wondered if that would be a good game plan. I never specified when it would be

The PGRE is only offered in September, October, and April, so you could only realistically study for half of the (fall) semester (at best) if you wanted to take it in time to start grad school the following fall.

A better strategy would be to focus on doing really well in your classes, and consistently review. That way, you won't have to go on some study binge the summer or semester before the test.

If you have three or four years to go (and for heaven's sake, why didn't you mention that?) Stengah is right: focus on doing really well in your classes, and consistently review.

Related to Take fall semester off to study for PGRE?

1. What is the PGRE and why is it important?

The PGRE, or Physics GRE, is a standardized test used by graduate programs to assess a student's knowledge and understanding of physics. It is an important component of the graduate school application process for physics and related fields, as it is used to determine a student's readiness for graduate-level coursework.

2. Is it a good idea to take a fall semester off to study for the PGRE?

This ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. If you feel that you need more time to prepare for the PGRE and want to achieve a high score, taking a semester off to focus on studying may be a good option. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your academic progress and other commitments.

3. How should I prepare for the PGRE?

There are many resources available for PGRE preparation, including study guides, practice tests, and online courses. It is important to start studying early and create a study schedule that works for you. Practice tests can also help you identify areas where you need to focus more time and effort.

4. What score should I aim for on the PGRE?

The average PGRE score varies depending on the institution and program, but a score above the 50th percentile is generally considered competitive. However, it is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine what score you should aim for.

5. Can I retake the PGRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the PGRE if you are not satisfied with your initial score. However, it is important to note that some institutions may consider all of your PGRE scores, while others may only consider your highest score. It is also important to consider the time and effort required for retaking the exam and whether it aligns with your academic and personal goals.