Tail in data of Duane-Hunt limit experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of a small tail in the vicinity of λmin on the Bremsstrahlung continuum in an experiment proving the Duane-hunt limit. The tail is present in most experimental data and remains unexplained. One possible explanation is that it is a result of the uncertainty in the exact number of electrons in the source, leading to some electrons having slightly greater energy than the accelerating voltage. This uncertainty is inherent in any experiment and may explain the consistent presence of the tail.
Danm91
https://photos-5.dropbox.com/t/2/AAC1PAsxThHE7dTxxumANssxIDSrZGA0wi9u1T2alieA9g/12/217355121/png/32x32/1/_/1/2/Screen%20Shot%202018-04-24%20at%2014.40.53.png/EJ6fyaMBGOQEIAIoAg/zVJasOZ8quUZpWc6eN6tzuO7YSmC-VjpQ4ikXIkpC8A?preserve_transparency=1&size=2048x1536&size_mode=3

So in looking at the data from an experiment proving the Duane-hunt limit I noticed that the there is always a small tail in the vicinity of λmin on the Bremsstrahlung continuum. Researching online I see this 'tail' is present in most experimental data that I come across, however nobody attempts to explain it.

It doesn't make sense to me as the presence of this tail seems to imply that a small portion of the Bremsstrahlung continuum has greater energy than the accelerating voltage (which is surely impossible!).

Physics news on Phys.org
The most likely explanation I can think of is that this tail is a result of the fact that the exact number of electrons in the source cannot be known exactly, and therefore some electrons are likely to have slightly greater energy than the accelerating voltage. This would explain why this tail is always present, as it is a result of the inherent uncertainty in any experiment.

Related to Tail in data of Duane-Hunt limit experiment

What is the Duane-Hunt limit experiment?

The Duane-Hunt limit experiment is an experiment that was conducted in 1913 by physicist William Duane and chemist Ernest Hunt. It was the first experiment to accurately measure the electron charge-to-mass ratio and provided evidence for the quantization of electric charge.

What is the significance of the Duane-Hunt limit experiment?

The Duane-Hunt limit experiment was significant because it provided evidence for the quantization of electric charge, which is a fundamental concept in modern physics. It also helped to confirm the existence of the electron, which was not fully accepted at the time of the experiment.

What is the "tail in data" in the Duane-Hunt limit experiment?

The "tail in data" in the Duane-Hunt limit experiment refers to a small deviation from the expected linear relationship between electron energy and frequency. This was observed in the data and was later explained by Niels Bohr's atomic model, which introduced the concept of energy levels in atoms.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the Duane-Hunt limit experiment?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the Duane-Hunt limit experiment. These include experimental errors, such as measurement errors and equipment limitations, as well as environmental factors like temperature and pressure. Additionally, the sample used in the experiment may also have an impact on the results.

How has the Duane-Hunt limit experiment influenced modern physics?

The Duane-Hunt limit experiment provided important evidence for the quantization of electric charge and the existence of the electron, which are both fundamental concepts in modern physics. It also paved the way for further research and developments in the field of atomic and subatomic particles.