Tachyonic Energies in a Minkowski Metric

In summary, the conversation is about working on a problem in Hartle dealing with tachyons. The speaker has determined the four-velocity and four-momentum of a tachyon, and needs help finding the energy given the momentum. There is some confusion about which problem in Hartle is being referred to, but the speaker ultimately figures out the energy-momentum for tachyons.
gravitowell
So I'm working on a problem (Hartle problem 6, chapter 6) dealing with tachyons. So far, I have determined the four-velocity and the four-momentum (up to a sign) of a tachyon. I have, with the four-velocity being a unit spacelike four-vector,
[itex]u^{\alpha}=\frac{\pm 1}{\sqrt{\vec{V}^2-1}}(1,\vec{V})
[/itex]

(Sorry about the bad formatting...).

I don't want to just assume the positive values of [itex]u^{\alpha}[/itex].

I need help figuring out how to find the energy E given that p=mu.

I realize I may have not phrased my dilemma well, so please ask for clarification.

Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't find this problem in Hartle. Problem 6 in chapter 6 is about transforming into the coordinates of an accelerated frame. I'm also not really sure what your question is.

Don't really have time to comment on the OP's dilemma, but I believe it's ch.5 problem 23.

Yes, you're right. I was about to change it. Thanks for noting.

I figured it out. I found my energy-momentum for tachyons to be given by

E^2=p^2-m^2.

Related to Tachyonic Energies in a Minkowski Metric

1. What are tachyonic energies?

Tachyonic energies are hypothetical particles or fields that travel faster than the speed of light. They are predicted by certain theories in physics, such as string theory, but have not yet been observed in experiments.

2. What is a Minkowski metric?

A Minkowski metric is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to describe the geometry of spacetime. It defines the distance between two points in four-dimensional spacetime, taking into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. How are tachyonic energies related to the Minkowski metric?

Tachyonic energies are often studied in the context of the Minkowski metric because the metric allows for the existence of faster-than-light particles. However, the Minkowski metric alone does not necessarily imply the existence of tachyonic energies.

4. What are the implications of tachyonic energies in a Minkowski metric?

If tachyonic energies were to exist in a Minkowski metric, it would challenge our current understanding of physics, particularly Einstein's theory of relativity. It could also have implications for time travel and communication, as well as the nature of causality in the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying tachyonic energies in a Minkowski metric?

Currently, there are no known practical applications of studying tachyonic energies in a Minkowski metric. However, further research in this area could potentially lead to new insights and advancements in our understanding of the universe and its fundamental properties.