Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tabs and Links Feedback

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
At the top of this web page, just under the chalkboard, there are five tabs labeled Forum, Activity, MHB Info, P.O.T.W, and For Fun. Two of those, the third and fifth, are drop-down boxes. Also, underneath those five tabs are six links: New Posts, FAQ, Community, Quick Links, My Posts, and Unanswered Threads. The last four of those are drop-down boxes with various links.

What I would like for you to do, please, is to give me feedback as the arrangement of these tabs and links. Think through your typical forum actions. What would make your life easier? I want to keep those links organized and uncluttered, but at the same time I would like you not to have to click many more times than is necessary. If you have suggestions for links to add or delete, or tabs to add or delete, please reply to this thread. I will make this a must-read thread for one week, after which time I will close the thread.

Thank you for your help!

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
-I always want to know if a there is a new reply to a thread I am subscribed in , so I press on settings on the upper right corner , why is that ?

-The MY POSTS link has a drop menu with MY THREADS and MY POSTS , I think this is where I should be notified if there is a new reply ...

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
-I always want to know if a there is a new reply to a thread I am subscribed in , so I press on settings on the upper right corner , why is that ?

-The MY POSTS link has a drop menu with MY THREADS and MY POSTS , I think this is where I should be notified if there is a new reply ...
There are two ways to handle this. One is simply to sign up for instant email notifications on all subscribed threads. Go to Settings -> My Settings -> General Settings -> Default Thread Subscription Mode -> Instantly, using email. The other method is to follow the Quick Links -> Subscribed Threads link. I like the latter, because I can quickly see if I need to reply to any thread to which I've subscribed in the last few days.

Does that answer your question? If not, could you please expound a bit further?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Looks good, Adrian! (Yes)

I would request that the "Activity Stream" be added to the "Quick Links" drop down menu.

I like to check this to see the visitor messages for two reasons:

• quickly check to see if a new user has responded on their wall to my message about asking any questions.
  • make sure nothing inappropriate or harassing is sent (I've never seen this, but I just like to make sure).

Thanks and Best Regards,

Mark.

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Looks good, Adrian! (Yes)

I would request that the "Activity Stream" be added to the "Quick Links" drop down menu.

I like to check this to see the visitor messages for two reasons:

• quickly check to see if a new user has responded on their wall to my message about asking any questions.
  • make sure nothing inappropriate or harassing is sent (I've never seen this, but I just like to make sure).

Thanks and Best Regards,

Mark.
I can do that, but am a little unsure of the need, since the Activity tab is always visible and you can click that with only one click.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Ah, I was used to clicking the former activity stream option on the menu bar, and didn't realize the activity tab did the same thing, so please disregard my request. ;)

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
The other method is to follow the Quick Links -> Subscribed Threads link.
Ok, for a new member , I think it is difficult to figure that out because Quick Links doesn't give any idea about it. So I suggest adding a link in the MY POSTS drop menu titled as view my posts, which displays all the posts you are subscribed in and if there is a new reply mark the thread with a special color which disappears later if the thread is opened ...

I would be fantastic otherwise if you can add a property similar to that of thanks given and private message notifications which displays a number. So if I have three new replies in three different threads a 3 is marked on the MYPOSTS link ..