Table of specific/latent heats

• Thread starter mrjeffy321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the conversation is about finding a comprehensive table with specific and latent heats for various substances. The Chemical Rubber Handbook is suggested as a good source, but the speaker is looking for a more accessible and cost-effective option. A link to an online source for a book with this information is provided as an alternative.
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
Can someone point me in the direction of a table with a lot of specific heats and latent heats (fusion, condensation).
I want a good comprehensive one for reference, and I also want to find some data on some more dificult to find substances.

all I can find so far are small tables with just a couple things on them, water and some metals, or just information on what specific heat is.

Science news on Phys.org
The Chemical Rubber Handbook is always a good first source.

that is good, lots of good usefull info, but I can't really use it that long as a reference guide, because my 24-hour subsciption will run out, and I don't really want to buy one of their very expensive subscription, or use all the time and paper trying to print it all today.

perhaps I could go out and buy one of these physicaly books, but I would really prefer an online source to that (much cheaper for one)

thanks, that is a good price for those books, they can get to over $100, but if I decide to go that way, there are some slightly better deals on that same book on amazon.com

Related to Table of specific/latent heats

1. What is a table of specific/latent heats?

A table of specific/latent heats is a collection of values that represent the amount of heat energy required to change the temperature or phase of a substance. These values are specific to each substance and can be used to calculate the energy needed for various processes.

2. How is the table of specific/latent heats useful?

The table of specific/latent heats is useful in many scientific and engineering applications. It allows us to accurately predict and calculate the amount of heat energy needed for processes such as melting, evaporation, and condensation. This information is crucial in fields such as thermodynamics, materials science, and industrial processes.

3. What is the difference between specific heat and latent heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree, while latent heat is the amount of heat energy needed to change the phase of a substance without changing its temperature. In other words, specific heat is for temperature changes, while latent heat is for phase changes.

4. How do you read a table of specific/latent heats?

A table of specific/latent heats typically lists substances in one column and their corresponding specific and latent heat values in two other columns. The values are usually given in units of joules per gram or kilojoules per kilogram. To use the table, you need to know the substance you are working with and the specific or latent heat value needed for your calculation.

5. Can the values in a table of specific/latent heats vary?

Yes, the values in a table of specific/latent heats can vary depending on the substance, temperature, and pressure. These values are usually experimentally determined and may differ slightly depending on the source. It is important to use the correct values for the specific substance and conditions in your calculations.