TA or RA-ship for theoretical physics

In summary: Second, teaching is a professional duty of all physicists and is something that a physicist should learn how to do efficIn summary, the conversation discusses whether it is better to be a TA or an RA for an aspiring condensed matter theory student. The group agrees that being a TA can be beneficial for teaching experience and should be done at some point in a graduate career. However, for a more focused research project, being an RA may be better since it allows for more time to be dedicated to research. The conversation also touches on the importance of teaching skills for a physicist and the recommendation that all graduate students should have at least one year of TA experience. It is also mentioned that
bjnartowt
Question: I know I want to do theory, and definitely not experiment. To that end, is it better to be a TA or an RA? I heard it said that being a TA is better...is this true? I was somewhat disbelieving...

Physics news on Phys.org
The absolute best way to learn is to teach. In that sense it is better to be a TA. Frequently a RA is better pay and you do not have to teach so you have more control over your time. What is your priority?

Many schools prefer that you start with a TA, then move on to an RA once you've picked a research adviser who can support you. If you come in without a research adviser, chances are you'll be given a TA.

A TA can give you valuable teaching experience, and everyone should do at least a year of it at some point in their graduate career, if not more. But when you start working on your masters thesis or dissertation, you'll appreciate the extra time you have with a RA - because you're expected to do just as much research on a TA, but more of your time is taken up by teaching, grading, and proctoring exams.

Integral said:
The absolute best way to learn is to teach. In that sense it is better to be a TA. Frequently a RA is better pay and you do not have to teach so you have more control over your time. What is your priority?

I'd like to study condensed matter theory. I heard that I should be a TA instead of an RA for theory...although, theoretical "condensed matter" requires, I think, a bit of lab experience...I'm guessing.

I'm just wondering what the heck I should do right now to accelerate my career, and amass material that will look good on an application. What does an aspiring theoretician do to improve his marketability to a prospective grad school, anyway?

I don't understand why anyone would tell you that TA is better than RA for theory.

If you're very busy doing research, get an RA. If you're still early in grad school and your project isn't quite defined yet, get a TA.

It's really quite simple: do you want to spend your afternoons teaching or doing research?

Condensed matter theory doesn't necessarily require any lab experience (except in the computer lab).

As for what an aspiring theorist can do to improve his application success? Research and get published, score exceedingly high on the Physics GRE, hope your strongest recommendation writers are friends with the admissions committees, and develop a firm handshake.

You don't have to worry about whether it is better to be an RA or a TA until you get accepted.

The best way to learn enough to pass your qualifying exams is to be a TA an teach. I have seen more than my fair share of fellow grad students flunk their exams because of not learning to set up problems for freshman courses.

I personally think that every grad student should be required to TA at least one year. It helps in two ways. You learn to organize your thinking process and make it explicit rather than implicit as you explain it to the students. Secondly, you learn to teach while you still have supervisors who can help you (I also don't think TAs should just be dumped into courses with no supervision...just as you'd have a research mentor if you did an RA, you should have a teaching mentor if you do a TA). Anyone who does graduate level research should know how to teach, even if it is only a very minor part of what you do for your career later. Even if you never do formal classroom teaching, the same skills will aid you with mentoring your own grad students, with giving presentations at conferences, with giving invited seminars, or even just giving a presentation to a committee at a regular research group meeting.

As far as teaching being a good experience for people who don't intend to teach... I'm not a terrifically awkward person, but I'm terrible at speaking to groups because my nerves get the better of me. As far as graduate students in physics go, I doubt I'm alone in this. Standing in front of a group of freshman and sophomores, describing something that you already know you're good at will start to ease those nerves - eventually you'll be standing in front of a group of professors trying to describe something you only thought you were good at, and you want to be sure you're over getting the shakes.

Sometimes it would be better overall for students to have RA's at the beginning of their graduate years, and TA's at the end. The reason is that, for grad students in their 1st or second year, a full schedule of classes plus teaching plus research can be a heavy burden. Even though in the end research is the most important thing, a student with a TA AND coursework will find it easy to push research aside, since for the most part, the demands aren't that time-sensitive, unlike doing weekly homework, or preparing for the next class, so it becomes easy to allocate less time to it (even if you don't mean too). TAs might be good for senior grad students as a sort of outlet from doing research. I don't think allocating 100% of work time to research is a very good idea, since it can be frustrating and difficult at times. Having something else to work on would help them take their mind off their immediate problems, and maybe come back with a clearer mind.

Quantumlaser, I think there's a reason why most graduate schools typically start with a TA-ship and after a year or two move the student to an RA-ship.

(1) Research in the first year or two is supposed to let the student explore his or her options and pick a thesis advisor; it's not "serious" in the sense that it usually doesn't lead to a PhD.

(2) At the end of the grad student's term, he or she needs to be focusing on finishing his or her dissertation, and not be distracted by other activities. I know you "don't think allocating 100% of work time to research is a very good idea, since it can be frustrating and difficult at times", but frustrating and difficult is exactly why you need to focus your energies on it.

Related to TA or RA-ship for theoretical physics

1. What is a TA or RA-ship for theoretical physics?

A TA or RA-ship for theoretical physics refers to a teaching assistantship or research assistantship for graduate students pursuing a degree in theoretical physics. These positions provide financial support and valuable experience in teaching or conducting research in the field of theoretical physics.

2. How do I become a TA or RA in theoretical physics?

To become a TA or RA in theoretical physics, you typically need to be admitted into a graduate program in theoretical physics and then apply for these positions within your department. The specific requirements and application process may vary between universities and departments.

3. What are the responsibilities of a TA in theoretical physics?

The responsibilities of a TA in theoretical physics may include assisting in teaching undergraduate courses by grading assignments and exams, leading discussion sections, and holding office hours to provide additional help to students. TAs may also assist in setting up and running laboratory experiments.

4. What are the benefits of a RA-ship in theoretical physics?

A RA-ship in theoretical physics allows graduate students to gain hands-on research experience and work closely with faculty members on cutting-edge projects. It also provides financial support in the form of a stipend and sometimes also covers tuition and other fees.

5. Are there any opportunities for international students to get a TA or RA-ship in theoretical physics?

Yes, there are opportunities for international students to get a TA or RA-ship in theoretical physics. However, the availability and requirements may vary between universities and countries. It is important to check with your university and department for specific information and opportunities for international students.