Max Product of a Set of Numbers with Sum of 100

In summary, the conversation is about a puzzle where the sum of a set of numbers is given and the highest possible product is to be calculated for non-negative reals and non-negative integers. The original puzzle was modified by the person and a similar puzzle was also posted on a forum. The solution for part a) is x=e and for part b) it is 4*3^32. The question that was wanted to be asked for part a) was which value of xy=100 gives the highest value for x^y.
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've nicked this puzzle (and slightly modified it) from another forum:

If the sum of a set of numbers is 100, what is their highest possible product if:

a) they are non-negative reals

b) they are non-negative integers

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jcsd said:
I've nicked this puzzle (and slightly modified it) from another forum:
Would it be from this thread?

No, it's not from that forum. The original puzzle only had part b) in it, part a) is my own addition, but I see that someone's already posted a very simlair puzzle.

Since the maximum is always achieved when the numbers are all equal, the problem reduces to finding the maximum of x100/x, and then calculating the products for the integers bracketing 100/x. The answer is x=e. I'll let you work out the final answer.

I've solved it already, it was meant to be a quiz.

The answer to part a) as the fact that the maximum value of x^1/x is e^1/e, is quite well known, though it's helpful for part b) it's not necessrily needed to be known.

Last edited:
Yes but e^(100/e) is not a valid solution in this case as the numbers must add to 100, and no integer multiple if e is equal to 100. Note that the number of numbers is an integer regardless of whether or not the actual numbers themselves are constrained to be integers.

Anyway I think the solution to "part a" is (100/37)^37 and the solution to "part b" is 4 * 3^32, though I haven't totally confirmed these values.

Last edited:
Of course yes.

well your defintely right on part b), and you certainly look right for part a)

the question I really wnated to ask for part a) I suppose was then which value of xy = 100 gives the highest vlaue for x^y.

What does the phrase "Max Product of a Set of Numbers with Sum of 100" mean?

The phrase "Max Product of a Set of Numbers with Sum of 100" refers to finding the largest possible product that can be obtained by multiplying a set of numbers whose sum is equal to 100.

Why is finding the max product of a set of numbers with a given sum important?

Finding the max product of a set of numbers with a given sum is important in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as optimization problems, statistics, and economics. It can also help in determining the most efficient use of resources in fields such as engineering and computer science.

What is the maximum product of a set of positive numbers with a sum of 100?

The maximum product of a set of positive numbers with a sum of 100 is 50, as this is the largest possible product that can be obtained by multiplying two numbers whose sum is 100 (50 x 50 = 2500).

Is it possible to have a set of negative numbers with a sum of 100 and a maximum product?

No, it is not possible to have a set of negative numbers with a sum of 100 and a maximum product. This is because multiplying two negative numbers will always result in a positive product, and the largest possible product will always be obtained by multiplying two positive numbers.

What is the role of the "max" in the phrase "Max Product of a Set of Numbers with Sum of 100"?

The "max" in the phrase "Max Product of a Set of Numbers with Sum of 100" indicates that we are looking for the largest possible product, rather than just any product. It helps to specify that we are interested in finding the optimal solution to this problem.