A quote from one of the great ones

• Thread starter justjohn
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to remember a quote from one of the founding fathers of quantum mechanics. Two potential quotes were suggested but neither matched the one the person was looking for. The person continues to search for the specific quote about astoundment at watching two magnets leap together and the mysterious nature of magnetism.
justjohn
Hello all. I recently stumbled onto this forum, and I'm so glad I did.

I'm hoping one of you can help me remember a quote I read years ago, I think it was by one of the founding fathers of quantum mechanics. As near as I can remember, it read something like "anyone who is not astounded by seeing two magnets leap together simply doesn't understand the significance of what they are seeing". Any help will be much appreciated.

Peace.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found some on this page :

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet." - Niels Bohr

I found this:

"Anyone who says that they can contemplate quantum mechanics without becoming dizzy has not understood the concept in the least." -- Niels Bohr

http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/2040

I appreciate the replies, but neither of the quotes mentioned are the one I'm trying to track down. The quote I'm looking for specifically referred to astoundment at watching two magnets leap together and the profoundly mysterious nature of magnetism and it's underlying physics.

I thought I'd give it a try thinking you might recognize the name. I'll let you know if I find out who said that.

1. What is the meaning behind the quote?

The meaning behind a quote from one of the great ones is often subjective and can vary depending on the individual who is interpreting it. It could be a reflection of the great one's personal beliefs or experiences, or it could be a statement about a larger societal issue or concept.

2. Who is the great one being quoted?

The great one being quoted could refer to a variety of individuals, such as a renowned scientist, philosopher, artist, or leader. It could also refer to a famous historical figure or a contemporary icon.

3. How is the quote relevant to scientific research?

The quote from a great one may be relevant to scientific research in various ways. It could offer a perspective on the importance of curiosity, experimentation, or critical thinking in the field of science. It could also provide insight into the ethical or societal implications of scientific advancements.

4. Can this quote be applied to other areas of life?

Many quotes from great ones can be applied to various areas of life, including personal growth, relationships, and career development. They often offer universal truths and wisdom that can be applied to different situations and contexts.

5. How can I use this quote in my own work or writing?

You can use a quote from one of the great ones in your work or writing by incorporating it into your introduction, using it to support an argument, or analyzing it in depth. Just be sure to properly cite the source of the quote and give credit to the great one who said it.