Reducing Wave Speed by Half: Understanding the Equation and Its Components

• Thread starter cseet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, The conversation is about reducing the wave speed by a factor of 2 and the equation used to calculate the new mass. The question is raised about why the resulting mass is not what was expected.
cseet
Hi all,
can anybody pls explain what is reduce the wave speed by factor of 2?

question:
original v(string) = 265m/s
F (tension) = 500N
m (mass) = 0.005kg
l (length) = 0.7m

Equation:
v = sqrt of [F / (m/l)]
therefore m = (F * l) / v square

but I though reduce speed by the factor of 2 = divided by 2?? pls kindly advise.
thanks
cseet

Physics news on Phys.org
Reduce by a factor of 2 does mean divide by 2.

cookiemonster

Hi Cookiemonster,
that's what I thought, but when I did the equation, the answer I got is 20g but the answer is 15g... can you explain that?
thanks
cseet

What exactly is the question? I thought all you asked was what reducing by a factor of 2 meant.

cookiemonster

What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium or space, carrying energy from one place to another without permanently displacing the medium itself.

What are the types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum.

How is the speed of a wave calculated?

The speed of a wave is calculated by dividing the distance the wave travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is also known as the wave's frequency multiplied by its wavelength.

What is the difference between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength is the distance between two corresponding points on a wave, while frequency is the number of complete waves that pass through a point in a given time. They are inversely related, meaning as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

What are some real-life examples of waves?

Some real-life examples of waves include sound waves, light waves, ocean waves, earthquake waves, and electromagnetic waves used in technologies such as radio and microwave transmissions.