Why Does a Rank One Matrix with a=1 Still Have Solutions?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a permutation matrix to manipulate a matrix equation and the significance of using a ones matrix and a scaled identity matrix. The RHS is described as a natural progression and the LHS is related to the moment curve. It is also mentioned that there is a solution even when the matrix is rank one and when the determinant is zero.
Carbon273
TL;DR Summary
What conditions will there be no solutions, a unique solution and a p-parameter of solutions? If possible may you express in particular and homogenous vectors. I'm a bit rusty so bear with me, trying to reestablish my understanding here.
1569891740199.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd strongly suggest multiplying by a permutation matrix ##\mathbf P## so that the LHS matrix is

##\mathbf {11}^T + (a-1)\mathbf I##
and the RHS has the natural progression of ##1, a, a^2 ##

assuming this is in reals, you should be able to confirm that any ##a \neq 1, -2## implies an invertible matrix. And ##a=1## still has (at least one) solution because... and as for ##a=-2## well...

Hmm why is that you used that expression for the LHS. I am curious, where does the 11^T comes from?

Carbon273 said:
Hmm why is that you used that expression for the LHS. I am curious, where does the 11^T comes from?
because ##\mathbf {11}^T## is the ones matrix and it is easy to work with. The (scaled) Identity matrix is even easier to work with.

and the RHS is most natural as ##1, a, a^2## -- this is called the moment curve.

No solution when the determinant of the matrix is 0.

mathman said:
No solution when the determinant of the matrix is 0.
This is not correct.

The matrix is rank one when ##a=1## and yet there are ##\gt 0## solutions. e.g. any of the standard basis vectors will do for x here.

I was trying to get OP to come to this conclusion when I said

StoneTemplePython said:
And ##a=1## still has (at least one) solution because...

Related to Why Does a Rank One Matrix with a=1 Still Have Solutions?

What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that contain two or more variables. The solution to a system of linear equations is the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system simultaneously.

How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. In substitution, one equation is solved for one variable and then substituted into the other equation. In elimination, the equations are manipulated to eliminate one variable, and then the resulting equation can be solved for the remaining variable. In graphing, the equations are graphed on the same coordinate plane and the point of intersection represents the solution.

When is a system of linear equations considered consistent or inconsistent?

A consistent system of linear equations has at least one solution, meaning that the equations intersect at one point. An inconsistent system has no solution, meaning that the equations are parallel and never intersect. A system with infinitely many solutions is considered dependent, meaning that all of the equations are equivalent and represent the same line.

What is the importance of systems of linear equations in real life?

Systems of linear equations are used to model and solve real-world problems in various fields, such as economics, engineering, and physics. They can be used to determine the optimal solution for a given situation, such as finding the most cost-effective way to produce a product or the most efficient route for a delivery truck.

Can a system of linear equations have more than two variables?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have any number of variables. However, the number of equations must also match the number of variables in order for the system to have a unique solution. Otherwise, the system may have infinitely many solutions or no solution at all.