Systems of linear equations ()

In summary, the problem involves Sam collecting fifty baseball cards, with Major league cards worth $3.50 each and Minor league cards worth $2.00 each, making his collection worth $122.50 in total. To determine the number of each type of card he has, a system of equations can be written with variables for the number of Major and Minor league cards. From there, the total number of cards and their respective values can be used to solve for the variables.
pkitten2007
Ok i have a problem that i just can't solve.:frown:

It says: sam has collected fifty baseball cards. The Major league baseball cards are worth $3.50 and the minor leagure baseball cards are worth $2.00 each. sam`s collection is worth $122.50

Q: Write a system of equations that can be used to determine the number of each type of card sam has .

Can anybody help me solve this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I moved this question from the Tutorials section to the appropriate Homework Help forum, and removed some font formatting that made it very difficult to read.

pkitten2007, please be sure to post your homework and coursework problems in the appropriate Homework Help forum, and not in the general forums (and not in Tutorials). Please show us your work so far -- we do not provide answers here on the PF. But we are very willing to provide tutorial help if you show us your work so far.

Also, please do not post in exotic bold fonts -- they make the posts difficult to read and deal with.

What have you all ready tried doing to solve the problem?

You have to show your work :). If somebody sees that you've at least tried to attempt it, they will surely help you. I can too, but need show you've attempted it at least. :)

pkitten2007 said:

It says: sam has collected fifty baseball cards. The Major league baseball cards are worth $3.50 and the minor leagure baseball cards are worth $2.00 each. sam`s collection is worth $122.50

Q: Write a system of equations that can be used to determine the number of each type of card sam has .

Assign variables for number of major league cards and number of minor league baseball cards. Now write the equations.

pkitten2007 said:

Uhm... i think I can give you some hints, so that you know where to start your problem.
If you call x to be the number of Major league baseball cards he has, and let y be his Minor league baseball ones.
So x + y = ? (what's the number of cards he has totally?)
How much are all his Major cards worth, if one costs $3.50 each?
How much are all his Minor cards worth, if one costs $2.00 each?
How much are all his cards worth in terms of x, and y?
Can you go from here? :)

Related to Systems of linear equations ()

1. What are systems of linear equations?

Systems of linear equations are mathematical equations that involve two or more unknown variables and can be solved simultaneously. They are represented by equations in the form of Ax + By = C, where A and B are constants and x and y are variables. The goal is to find values for x and y that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

2. How do you solve systems of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving systems of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Substitution involves solving for one variable in terms of the other and then substituting that expression into the other equations. Elimination involves adding or subtracting equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the remaining variable. Graphing involves graphing each equation and finding the point of intersection, which represents the solution to the system.

3. Can systems of linear equations have more than two variables?

Yes, systems of linear equations can have any number of variables. However, the number of equations must also match the number of variables in order to have a unique solution. If there are more variables than equations, there are infinitely many solutions, and if there are fewer variables than equations, there is no unique solution.

4. What are the applications of systems of linear equations?

Systems of linear equations have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. They can be used to model real-world situations such as the price of goods, the trajectory of a projectile, or the flow of electricity. They are also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a system of equations.

5. Can systems of linear equations have no solution?

Yes, systems of linear equations can have no solution if the equations are inconsistent, meaning there is no set of values that will satisfy all of the equations simultaneously. This can happen if the equations are contradictory, such as 2x + 3y = 5 and 2x + 3y = 10. In this case, the lines representing the equations are parallel and will never intersect, so there is no solution.