Systems of 1st order PDEs with many independant variables?

In summary, the conversation focused on finding resources for understanding systems of linear 1st order PDEs with multiple independent variables. The mentioned book, Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics from Byron and Fuller, was suggested but was not considered sufficient for the topic at hand. The individual is seeking resources that go beyond typical second order PDEs and tackle systems with more than two independent variables, specifically 6 equations, 6 dependent variables, and 4 independent variables. No further suggestions were made.
jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone know of any books or online resources that do a good job discussing systems of linear 1st order PDEs with several (more than 2) independent variables? I am not a mathematician, but can handle graduate level classical physics with the associated applied math. Analytical and numerical approaches are both of interest.

Thanks!

Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
Chapter 7 of Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics from Byron and Fuller might interest you (Green's function method of solving differential and partial differential equations). It probably isn't exactly/enough of what you're looking for, however, but it's like 10 bucks on Amazon and worth the read.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am already comfortable with Green's functions at that level; likewise, I am familiar with characteristics for wave-like PDEs . I believe Byron and Fuller mainly tackle typical second order linear PDEs like the wave equation, Schrodinger's equation, etc. Based on the table of contents, I don't think Byron and Fuller contain much (if any) discussion of systems of first order equations. I am also familiar with characteristics for solving a single first order linear and nonlinear PDEs, and have looked at a couple of treatments of systems with two independent variables. I am just not skilled or confident enough to try to derive the method for greater than two independent variables. I am interested in learning how to tackle problems that have, say, 6 equations, 6 dependent variables and 4 independent variables (x,y,z,t).

thanks,

jason

Related to Systems of 1st order PDEs with many independant variables?

1. What is a first order PDE?

A first order partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves a function of multiple variables and its partial derivatives. It is of first order if it involves only first derivatives of the dependent variable.

2. How many independent variables can a system of first order PDEs have?

A system of first order PDEs can have any number of independent variables, as long as there are enough equations to determine the values of the dependent variables.

3. What is the difference between a first order PDE and a second order PDE?

The main difference between a first order and second order PDE is the number of derivatives present in the equation. A first order PDE involves only first derivatives, while a second order PDE involves second derivatives as well as first derivatives.

4. How are systems of first order PDEs solved?

Systems of first order PDEs can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, or numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the nature of the equations and the boundary conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of systems of first order PDEs with many independent variables?

Some common applications of systems of first order PDEs with many independent variables include fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in various engineering and scientific fields to model and predict physical phenomena and processes.