System with homogeneous equation in denominator help

In summary, the given system of equations can be simplified by substituting new parameters for 2x-y and x+2y and solving for these parameters. This leads to the equations 8*v - 7*u = u*v and 12*v^2 - 196*u^2 = 3*u^2*v^2. Manipulating the first equation allows for the expression u = (8v)/(v+7), which can then be substituted into the second equation to solve for v.
Hivoyer

Homework Statement

The system is declared as follows:

8/(2*x - y) - 7/(x + 2*y) = 1
4/((2*x - y)^2) - 7/((x + 2*y)^2) = 3/28

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I define 'x' to equal k*y and I replace it inside the equation:

8/(2*k*y^2) - 7(k*y + 2*y) = 1
4(4*k^2*y^2 - 4*k*y^2 + y*2) - 7(k^2*y^2 + 4*k*y^2 + 4*y^2) = 3/28

I know I have to divide the top one by the bottom one and take y^2 out of the brackets, however the way it is now, it would become impossibly complex if I divide them.How can I simplify them before I divide?Not sure how to proceed.Using least common multiple also results in a monstrosity.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get 2ky^2 if you replace x with ky in 2x - y?
What happens to the fractions in equation 2?

I know I have to divide the top one by the bottom one
I doubt that this will work.

I would substitute 2x-y and x+2y with new parameters, and get rid of the denominators quickly.

mfb said:
How do you get 2ky^2 if you replace x with ky in 2x - y?
What happens to the fractions in equation 2?

I doubt that this will work.

I would substitute 2x-y and x+2y with new parameters, and get rid of the denominators quickly.

By doing that I get:
8*v - 7*u = u*v
12*v^2 - 196*u^2 = 3*u^2*v^2

I can't use any of them to express u = # or v = # :(

You can solve the first equation for v or u and plug it into the second equation.

Hivoyer said:
By doing that I get:
8*v - 7*u = u*v
12*v^2 - 196*u^2 = 3*u^2*v^2

I can't use any of them to express u = # or v = # :(

First, shouldn't the ##12v^2## in your second equation be ##112v^2##? (Probably just a typo)

Second, I suggest manipulating the first equation to get ##u = \frac{8v}{v+7}##(assuming that ##v \neq -7##, you should check that this cannot be true by substituting ##v = -7## into the system). Then, as mentioned above, substitute this expression into the second equation and solve for v.

Related to System with homogeneous equation in denominator help

What is a system with homogeneous equation in denominator?

A system with homogeneous equation in denominator is a mathematical equation or set of equations where all terms in the denominator are of the same degree. In other words, the variables in the equations have the same exponent.

How is a system with homogeneous equation in denominator different from a system with non-homogeneous equation?

A system with homogeneous equation in denominator can be solved by setting all the variables equal to zero, while a system with non-homogeneous equation requires additional steps such as using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters.

What is the significance of a homogeneous equation in a system of equations?

A homogeneous equation in a system of equations indicates that the system has a special property called homogeneity. This means that if all the variables in the system are multiplied by a constant, the resulting equations will still be equivalent.

How do you solve a system with homogeneous equation in denominator?

To solve a system with homogeneous equation in denominator, you can start by setting all the variables equal to zero. This will result in a simpler system of equations that can be solved using traditional methods such as substitution or elimination.

Can a system with homogeneous equation in denominator have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system with homogeneous equation in denominator can have multiple solutions. This is because setting all the variables equal to zero may result in equations with different values for the constants, leading to different solutions.