System turns on alarm once temp. dips below 10.5°C

In summary, the homework statement gives a delta T of 0.25C but there is an arbitrary choice made to keep the heating of the thermistor small compared to the monitored temperature changes. The given solution seem to be irrelevant and incomprehensible. The 10kΩ resistor is undefined and the rest of the circuit looks incorrect. The hysteresis still needs calculating.
adamaero

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-7_21-19-55.png
upload_2018-4-7_21-19-35.png

Homework Equations

upload_2018-4-7_21-20-3.png

(Above given. I think it's a hint.)

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-4-7_21-20-41.png

How is delta T = 0.25??
Where is the 10kΩ coming from?

We were given a solution for this homework, since it's not collected. It just seems out of order.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-7_21-18-43.png
    upload_2018-4-7_21-18-43.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 470
  • upload_2018-4-7_21-19-35.png
    upload_2018-4-7_21-19-35.png
    3 KB · Views: 693
  • upload_2018-4-7_21-19-55.png
    upload_2018-4-7_21-19-55.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 701
  • upload_2018-4-7_21-20-3.png
    upload_2018-4-7_21-20-3.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 727
  • upload_2018-4-7_21-20-41.png
    upload_2018-4-7_21-20-41.png
    14 KB · Views: 750
Physics news on Phys.org
adamaero said:
How is delta T = 0.25??
This looks like an arbitrary choice to keep the heating of the thermistor small compared to the monitored temperature changes.

Likes adamaero
This requires detailed circuit analysis including the hysteresis requirement (on at 10.5C on the way up., off at 8C on the way down). Thefone parameter you can ignore is the 5mW/C "dissipation constant". Unfortunately the presented solution seem to have taken off with it ... I find the given solution totally irrelevant and incomprehensible.

Actually that 5mW/°C and ΔT=0.25C is important in practice. The problem statement gives an overall 0.5°C tolerance so the usual approach is to limit the thermistor self heating to half (or less) of the allowed error band, leaving room for tolerance buildup of the other components. "I", the maximum thermistor current, is correctly calculated as 0.354mA

The 10k is defined in the problem statement as the thermistor resistance at 10°C.

I haven't evaluated the rest of the circuit in detail but it doesn't look right. For instance the equivalent resistance the thermistor sees should be ≥4.2kΩ to limit the thermistor current, but the circuit shows 4.2k and 9k in parallel.

The hysteresis still needs calculating.

OK, but that number is not characteristic of the thermistor itself. It depends on the degree of heat-sinking to the measured ambient. So if the given number is somehow determined in situ then I guess that number can be incorporated into the calculations.

Tom.G said:
but the circuit shows 4.2k and 9k in parallel.
They are not in parallel. There shouldn't be a relevant current through the 9 kOhm resistor around the nominal temperature. The negative side of the comparator is held at the same voltage we have between thermistor and 4.2 kOhm resistor at this temperature.

mfb said:
They are not in parallel. There shouldn't be a relevant current through the 9 kOhm resistor around the nominal temperature. The negative side of the comparator is held at the same voltage we have between thermistor and 4.2 kOhm resistor at this temperature.
You're right. Thanks. I had stopped my evaluation before getting there. :oops:

Related to System turns on alarm once temp. dips below 10.5°C

1. What does the system do when the temperature dips below 10.5°C?

The system turns on an alarm to alert users that the temperature has dropped below the set threshold of 10.5°C.

2. Can the temperature threshold be adjusted?

Yes, the temperature threshold can be adjusted to a different value based on the user's preferences.

3. How does the system detect the temperature?

The system uses a temperature sensor to measure the current temperature and compare it to the set threshold.

4. What happens when the alarm is triggered?

When the alarm is triggered, a loud noise or visual indicator will be activated to alert users of the low temperature.

5. Is there a way to disable the alarm?

Yes, the alarm can be disabled by adjusting the temperature threshold or manually turning off the alarm through the system's controls.