Exploring the Egg-Water Phenomenon

• Thread starter wolfgang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phenomenon
In summary: The New Physics of Water" has a great explanation on this. He says that the egg's movement is actually due to the Venturi effect. This is where a higher velocity, lower density symmetric fluid flowSituates around object exterior, creating a stable partial vacuum. This in turn causes the object to rise.
wolfgang
Hi,everyone

Everyone of you must have done the following experiment while you prepare your breakfast.

Put an egg (boiled or not) in a glass or brig then put the glass under a tab and release the water, you will notice that seconds later the egg will slowly arise to the top of the water surface and will remain there until you stop the water.

If we were living in middle ages this would be a miracle but since we are living in 21st century I would like to hear you opinions about this phenomenon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever seen the trick of the ball "floating" in a stream of moving in air? I wonder if this is something similar.

Some kind of Venturi effect? Higher velocity, lower density symmetric fluid flow situates around object exterior, creating a stable partial vacuum.

Thanks for replaying guys,
but I want also to add (I am sorry I did not give this information in my first mail) that the phenomenon must have something to do with the size of the vessel we are using.

Especially with the width and not the height of the vessel because if you use a little wider vessel the egg does not move and remains at the bottom of the vessel.

And something more the egg is rotating (has spin) around its big axis.

It is not necessary for the egg to spin, I observed this in a glass to narrow to allow that. The egg elevated to a midpoint in the glass, well above the bottom, but not quite to the top. There was no perceivable spin.

The dimensions of the vessel would help determine size, number, symmetry and orientation of "convection" currents.

The EGG...

Hi,

The answer to ur question is very simple. It is just that narrower the vessel, the more the force with which water moves into the vessel. So The more the force, the more will be the upward motion of the water as it hits the bottom. Which means that the egg is going to float. But as soon as you close the tap, this upward force stops due to the stop in the flow of water and hence the egg again sinks due to its weight.

(PS: It would be easier to understand if you can visualise this...)

Sridhar

1. What is the Egg-Water Phenomenon?

The Egg-Water Phenomenon is a scientific phenomenon that occurs when an egg is placed in a glass of water. The egg will either sink or float, depending on its density and the density of the water.

2. Why does the egg sink or float in water?

The egg sinks or floats in water due to differences in density. If the egg is more dense than the water, it will sink. If the egg is less dense than the water, it will float.

3. How can we use the Egg-Water Phenomenon for scientific experiments?

The Egg-Water Phenomenon can be used for various experiments, such as demonstrating the concept of density or exploring the effects of temperature and salt on the density of water. It can also be used to study the concept of buoyancy and the behavior of objects in different liquids.

4. Is the Egg-Water Phenomenon affected by the size or type of the egg?

Yes, the size and type of egg can affect the Egg-Water Phenomenon. Generally, larger eggs will have a higher density and will sink, while smaller eggs may float. Different types of eggs, such as chicken eggs or duck eggs, may also have different densities and therefore behave differently in water.

5. Can we use the Egg-Water Phenomenon to determine the freshness of an egg?

No, the Egg-Water Phenomenon cannot be used to determine the freshness of an egg. The sinking or floating of an egg is determined by its density, not its freshness. To determine the freshness of an egg, it is best to use the "float test" where fresh eggs will sink and old eggs will float.