Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

System of equations

ironluis

Oct 4, 2013
I need your help for solved this. :confused:

X^2+y^2=9
(x+3)^2+(y-3)^2=9

Please help me.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Re: I need help!

Hi ironluis,

Welcome to MHB! (Wave)

Is this a question about systems of equations? Are you supposed to look at the two equations and solve for $x$ and $y$? This can be done algebraically however you posted the question in our geometry forum. Are you supposed to solve it geometrically?

ironluis

Oct 4, 2013
Im sorry :confused:

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Notice both equations are equal to 9, so they are equal to each other. Set them equal to each other, expand, simplify...

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
A more geometric approach would be to consider the point midway between the center of the circles. We use the mid-point in this case because the radii of the circles is the same. If the distance of this midpoint to the radii is greater than the radii, then there is no solution. If this distance is equal to the radii, there is one solution, and if it is less than the radii, and greater than zero, then there are two solutions. If the distance is zero, then the circles are concurrent and there are an infinite number of solutions.

Next, compute the slope of the line segment connecting the center of the circles, and observe that the solutions will lie along the line perpendicular to this segment, and passing through the mid-point of the centers.

This line will give you the result suggested by Prove It's much more straightforward algebraic approach.

Then you want to find the points on this line which satisfy either of the equations describing the circles.

johng

MHB Math Helper
Jan 25, 2013
Hi,
I think the best geometric solution to the problem of intersection of two circles is given at Circle, Cylinder, Sphere
I have used this algorithm with good success.