Synthetic plastics without fossil fuels

• Thread starter robynmc
  • Start date
In summary, bioplastics are being made from various natural materials, but they are still reliant on fossil fuels to produce them.
robynmc
Could you help me find resources about this? I searched synthetic industrial plastics and it didn't return much.
I'm not that sure how to frame the question, what the question is. I'm interested to know how/whether plastics and other polymers and so on might be mass produced from simpler forms than processed hydrocarbons. What might that side of the fossil fuel industry to look like in 50 or 100 years, from a technical perspective not political. Possibilities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rayon. Cellophane. Where do you wish to start?

Try searching bioplastics. It's being done right now, but at high cost. The first page of results has information about the chemistry, sources of the raw materials, recyclability, and land needed. Possibilities, yes, but practical realities override wishful thinking.

• Informative
Likes Isopod, berkeman and hutchphd
hutchphd said:
Rayon. Cellophane. Where do you wish to start?
Trying to work out what i want to know, as I say, but for example I've heard it suggested high grade plastics are an end to which the rest of oil refining is almost just an economy of scale. Is it feasible that scaled up chem labs will ever displace refinery sources entirely? Even in principle

jrmichler said:
Try searching bioplastics. It's being done right now, but at high cost. The first page of results has information about the chemistry, sources of the raw materials, recyclability, and land needed. Possibilities, yes, but practical realities override wishful thinking.
Thanks!

Likes berkeman and hutchphd
robynmc said:
Could you help me find resources about this? I searched synthetic industrial plastics and it didn't return much.
I'm not that sure how to frame the question, what the question is. I'm interested to know how/whether plastics and other polymers and so on might be mass produced from simpler forms than processed hydrocarbons. What might that side of the fossil fuel industry to look like in 50 or 100 years, from a technical perspective not political. Possibilities.
Well, you still need a carbon source because plastics are carbon-based. And presumably you'd need an "end of life cycle" plan as well if "carbon removal" is your ideological goal. This feedstock issue probably still REQUIRES fossil fuels.

Ultimately you still need energy to do ANY modification of ANY carbon feedstock to make plastics.
If it's not fossil, it probably needs to be nuclear because you need high density energy for most of the chemical processes that are not already fossil derived. This is where thermodynamically only nuclear can better fossil fuels. Green Energy is NOT going to cut it because it's high-entropy, low-density which generally is incompatible with 19th/20th/21st century industrial processes and supply chains.

If both of these are no-go with your ideology, then the only solution is natural polymers - e.g. plant cellulose (e.g. cotton) and animal fibers (e.g. wool). There are no pre-19th century technologies or processes that can do better. The 19th century did better them but only with fossil fuels and feedstocks.

• Informative
Likes Bystander
This company is making a substitute for styrofoam out of mushrooms, the processes behind it really are quite fascinating and the company is beginning to make the enterprise quite commmercially viable (they are also growing mushroom bacon too):

1. What are synthetic plastics without fossil fuels?

Synthetic plastics without fossil fuels are plastics that are made from alternative sources, such as plant-based materials, instead of using non-renewable fossil fuels like oil and natural gas. These plastics are considered more sustainable and environmentally friendly.

2. How are synthetic plastics without fossil fuels made?

There are a few different methods for making synthetic plastics without fossil fuels. One method involves using bacteria to convert plant-based sugars into a polymer, which can then be molded into plastic products. Another method involves using enzymes to break down plant-based materials into smaller molecules, which can then be used to create plastic.

3. What are the benefits of using synthetic plastics without fossil fuels?

Using synthetic plastics without fossil fuels has several benefits. These plastics are biodegradable, meaning they can break down more easily in the environment, reducing plastic pollution. They also have a lower carbon footprint, as they do not require the extraction and processing of fossil fuels. Additionally, using plant-based materials can help reduce our reliance on non-renewable resources.

4. Are synthetic plastics without fossil fuels as durable as traditional plastics?

The durability of synthetic plastics without fossil fuels varies depending on the specific material and production process used. Some plant-based plastics may not be as strong as traditional plastics, but they can still be suitable for certain applications. Researchers are constantly working to improve the strength and durability of these plastics.

5. Can synthetic plastics without fossil fuels be recycled?

Yes, some synthetic plastics without fossil fuels can be recycled. However, the recycling process may be different from traditional plastics, as the materials may require different methods for breaking down and reusing. It is important to check with your local recycling facilities to see if they accept these types of plastics and how they should be sorted for recycling.