Some Thermal Dynamic help.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mass of a one cubic foot block of ice and the amount of energy needed to melt it at 0 degrees Celsius. The suggested approach is to first look up the density of ice to determine the mass of the block.
derfrok
Ok, I don't quite understand the concept of thermal dynamics. So, I need some help here.

When ice melts it takes 333,465 Joules of energy to convert one 1KG of solid ice into liquid water at 0 degrees celsius. Suppose that you have a one cubic foot block of ice.

I need to find the MASS. Can someone please point me in the right direction? :biggrin:

Here's what i got so far:

333,465j=M*2000j/kg-celsius(0-20)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
derfrok said:
When ice melts it takes 333,465 Joules of energy to convert one 1KG of solid ice into liquid water at 0 degrees celsius. Suppose that you have a one cubic foot block of ice.
I presume the question is to find out how much energy is needed to melt that much ice at 0 degrees? If so, look up the density of ice in order to find the mass of this block. (I think it's something like 917 kg/m^3.)

Sure, I'd be happy to help with some thermal dynamics! First, let's break down the information given. Thermal dynamics is the study of how heat and energy transfer and transform in a system. In this case, we are looking at the specific heat of ice, which is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of ice by one degree Celsius. This value is 2000 joules per kilogram per degree Celsius.

Now, let's apply this information to the given scenario. We know that 333,465 joules of energy is needed to melt one kilogram of ice at 0 degrees Celsius. So, we can set up an equation:

333,465 joules = M (mass of ice) x 2000 joules/kg-C x (0-20 degrees Celsius)

Solving for M, we get:

M = 333,465 joules / (2000 joules/kg-C x 20 degrees Celsius) = 8.336 kg

Therefore, the mass of the ice cube is approximately 8.336 kilograms.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or need further clarification. Keep up the good work!

1. What is thermal dynamics?

Thermal dynamics is the study of the movement of heat and its effects on matter.

2. How does thermal dynamics relate to other branches of science?

Thermal dynamics is closely related to other branches of science such as thermodynamics, physics, chemistry, and engineering.

3. What are some real-life applications of thermal dynamics?

Some common applications of thermal dynamics include refrigeration and air conditioning systems, engines and turbines, and heating systems.

4. What are the laws of thermal dynamics?

The three laws of thermal dynamics state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, and the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

5. How can I use thermal dynamics in my daily life?

Thermal dynamics can be applied in daily life in various ways, such as cooking, using household appliances, and understanding weather patterns and climate change.