Synthetic Data Fitting- Goodness of Fit

In summary, the conversation discussed using synthetic data to compare a crystal structure to known structures and provided suggestions for quantitatively measuring the fit, such as using the RMSD and R-factor.
spekky_bandit
Hi folks,

I am currently working on a project involving an unknown crystal sample. I have now identified the sample but I would like to quantify my findings by considering how well the structure I have determined fits other known structures. I have already ruled out fitting atomic positions to structures as this is very difficult unless the structures are very similar (same space group etc). I have instead opted to fitting a synthetic genetration of powder diffraction data for my crystal structure to synthetic generations from literature data.

My question is really about how to check the goodness of this fit? As both data sets are synthetic I have no associated errors so I cannot use a traditional chi squared tests. Does anyone have a suggestion on how this may be performed or any other method I may consider for comparing crystal structure quantitatively?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your project with us. It sounds like you are on the right track by using synthetic data to compare your crystal structure to known structures. As you mentioned, using atomic positions can be difficult and may not provide an accurate comparison.

One method you could consider is using a program or software that calculates the Root Mean Square Deviation (RMSD) between two crystal structures. This measures the average distance between corresponding atoms in the two structures and can provide a quantitative measure of the fit.

Additionally, you could also look into using the R-factor or the weighted profile R-factor to compare the intensity values of your synthetic data to the literature data. This can provide a measure of how well your structure fits the diffraction data.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and best of luck with your project.

Related to Synthetic Data Fitting- Goodness of Fit

1. What is synthetic data fitting?

Synthetic data fitting is a statistical method used to create a model that best represents a set of data points. This involves finding the parameters of a mathematical function that can accurately describe the relationship between the data points.

2. How is the goodness of fit measured in synthetic data fitting?

The goodness of fit is measured by comparing the predicted values from the model with the actual data points. This can be done using various statistical measures such as the coefficient of determination (R2), root mean square error (RMSE), or mean absolute error (MAE).

3. What is a good value for the goodness of fit?

There is no single value that can be considered universally good for the goodness of fit. It depends on the specific data and the type of model being used. Generally, a higher value indicates a better fit, but it is important to also consider the context of the data and the purpose of the model.

4. Can synthetic data fitting be used for any type of data?

Synthetic data fitting can be used for a wide range of data types, including numerical, categorical, and time-series data. However, the effectiveness of the method may vary depending on the complexity and characteristics of the data.

5. What are the limitations of synthetic data fitting?

One of the main limitations of synthetic data fitting is that it assumes a linear relationship between the data points, which may not always be the case in real-world data. Additionally, the accuracy of the model heavily depends on the quality and quantity of the data used for fitting.