Synthesizing a Triangular Wave Using Microsoft© Excel

• Thread starter whitelockben
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel Wave
In summary, you can use Excel to plot a triangular wave by adding each harmonic term. The resulting graph will show the frequency of the wave at different points in time.
whitelockben

Homework Statement

A triangular wave is produced by the following combination of harmonics

iosoifns.jpg

Using Microsoft© Excel, synthesise a triangular wave. Start with a plot of the first term and gradually add the next term. Print out the graph produced after adding each term.
(P)

Describe in your own words what affect was produced by adding each term. (M)

Give a detailed description with examples on how you would create a square wave using a similar method. (D)

I do not have a clue where to even start with this. Could some one point me in the right direction or ever possibly talk me through it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

whitelockben said:

Homework Statement

A triangular wave is produced by the following combination of harmonics

iosoifns.jpg

Using Microsoft© Excel, synthesise a triangular wave. Start with a plot of the first term and gradually add the next term. Print out the graph produced after adding each term.
(P)

Describe in your own words what affect was produced by adding each term. (M)

Give a detailed description with examples on how you would create a square wave using a similar method. (D)

I do not have a clue where to even start with this. Could some one point me in the right direction or ever possibly talk me through it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Have you graphed functions using Excel before? It's pretty straightforward. Set up some columns with time t in the first column. You should estimate what frequency you want to use, and set the time increment at something appropriate to give you a number of samples per cycle. So for a 1kHz signal, choose your delta-t to be a fraction of a ms. I like to put my constants in some Excel worksheet locations near the top of the page, and use absolute addressing to refer to them in the rows down in the body of the worksheet.

So, the top box in your time column is 0, and the next box below it is a pointer to the 0 entry, plus the delta-t absolute cell address. Then use Fill-Down to copy that formula into the next few dozen rows or more below. That gives you the time base for the spreadsheet.

Then in the columns to the right of the time base, construct the formula for the triangular wave, and use Fill-Down to give you the column with the function that you want to plot.

Have you plotted columns in Excel before? The plotting wizard is pretty helpful. What experience do you have with Excel? Your instructor must be offering some help on using it, or else you are assumed to have a basic working knowledge of it.

Would anyone be able to plot this for me please it would be massively appreciated?

whitelockben said:
Would anyone be able to plot this for me please it would be massively appreciated?

No. It's your homework, and we don't do your homework for you here.

Try plotting something simpler at first, to get the hang of using Excel. Something like y = 2*x + 5, for x=1..5, in steps of 0.1

Small world, I have exactly the same questions to answer, (word for word) as the original problem posted here.
I have read through the suggestions but I'm still a little confused.
I am assuming that V=Voltage, w=Angular Frequency, t=time ?
If this is the case then how do you know what initial values to use for each to produce a triangular wave in excel.
I.e. let’s say I start with a 5V circuit at 50Hz how do you know what (w) to use and what (t) to use.
Also by how much do you increase these values for the next section of the formula?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

QUANTUM2011 said:
Small world, I have exactly the same questions to answer, (word for word) as the original problem posted here.
I have read through the suggestions but I'm still a little confused.
I am assuming that V=Voltage, w=Angular Frequency, t=time ?
If this is the case then how do you know what initial values to use for each to produce a triangular wave in excel.
I.e. let’s say I start with a 5V circuit at 50Hz how do you know what (w) to use and what (t) to use.
Also by how much do you increase these values for the next section of the formula?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What's the relationship between frequency (Hz) and angular frequency (rad/sec)?

I'm not sure, new to all this electrical engineering. I could be wrong, the w may not stand for angular frequency.
I'll just wait to see if anyone comes back with some help.

QUANTUM2011 said:
I'm not sure, new to all this electrical engineering. I could be wrong, the w may not stand for angular frequency.
I'll just wait to see if anyone comes back with some help.

The [tex] \omega [/tex] stands for angular frequency.

Still need some help here :)

Help with what? What have you tried?

There is only one variable in the formula, t. The amplitude V remains constant. The fundamental angular frequency [tex]\omega[/tex] doesn't change

How is frequency related to angular frequency?
How is the period related to the frequency?
Can you draw one cycle of a sinewave of a given frequency?

Does it matter what frequency you choose to start with? Is f=1Hz, V=1Volt a perfectly good choice?

Related to Synthesizing a Triangular Wave Using Microsoft© Excel

1. What is a triangular wave?

A triangular wave is a type of waveform that rises linearly from 0 to a peak value, then falls linearly back to 0. It is characterized by its triangular shape and is often used in signal processing and electronic circuits.

2. Why would I need to use Microsoft© Excel to synthesize a triangular wave?

Excel is a powerful tool for data analysis and manipulation, and it can also be used to generate waveforms. It is a convenient and accessible option for those who may not have access to specialized software or equipment.

3. How do I synthesize a triangular wave using Microsoft© Excel?

To synthesize a triangular wave using Excel, you will need to use the "LINEST" function to create a series of data points that represent the waveform. You can then plot these points on a graph to visualize the triangular wave. There are also various tutorials and guides available online to help you through the process.

4. What are some practical applications of synthesizing a triangular wave?

Triangular waves can be used in a variety of applications, such as in electronic music synthesis, testing electronic circuits, and creating signals for communication and control systems. They can also be used for educational purposes to help students understand the principles of waveforms and signal processing.

5. Are there any limitations to using Microsoft© Excel for synthesizing a triangular wave?

While Excel can be a useful tool for generating waveforms, it does have its limitations. The accuracy and precision of the waveform may be affected by the resolution of the graph, and it may not be suitable for more complex waveform synthesis. It is important to understand the limitations and consider using specialized software or equipment for more advanced applications.