GeForce vs ATI: A Head-to-Head Comparison of Graphics Cards

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Nvidia has been hurt by cheating on benchmarks and refusal to comply with Dx9. ATI currently has a small lead in performance, but Nvidia is close.

Which is better?

• ATI

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • GeForce

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Computer science news on Phys.org
Right now I have a Geforce 3.

Personally I think both are neck in neck in the market now. Ati has been coming out with very good cards recently. The only thing I don't like about Ati is their horrible drivers. Nvidia has really pushed the quality of video drivers. They even have unified linux drivers which makes installing them a piece of cake. Nvidia's hardware has been lagging behind these past years, especially with the failure some of their FX cards. All I have to say is that I don't need a screeching banshee (No pun intended for you 3dfx fans) taking up two slots and requiring a floppy power supply connector.

Originally posted by dduardo
Right now I have a Geforce 3.

Personally I think both are neck in neck in the market now. Ati has been coming out with very good cards recently. The only thing I don't like about Ati is their horrible drivers. Nvidia has really pushed the quality of video drivers. They even have unified linux drivers which makes installing them a piece of cake. Nvidia's hardware has been lagging behind these past years, especially with the failure some of their FX cards. All I have to say is that I don't need a screeching banshee (No pun intended for you 3dfx fans) taking up two slots and requiring a floppy power supply connector.

Geforce will kick ass. Best card for 3dfx lovers.

First, a clarification: "GeForce" is a product line. The company is called Nvidia.

Anyway, I own an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9700.

ATI currently has a small lead in performance. Nvidia has been hurt by cheating on benchmarks and having settings in their drivers that don't match what the card is doing. When Half Life 2 comes out, owners of high end Nvidia cards will be sorely disappointed by the lack of adequate DirectX 9 support. Refusal to comply with Dx9 (in an effort to force MS to tailor DX9 to Nvidia technology) is why they lost the X-Box 2 to ATI.

ATI is on top right now. Nvidia is close, but they have some severe roadblocks ahead of them that they don't appear to be dealing with adequately.

What is the difference between GeForce and ATI?

GeForce and ATI are both brands of graphics processing units (GPUs) used in computer graphics cards. They are developed and manufactured by different companies - GeForce by Nvidia and ATI by AMD. While both brands offer high-performance GPUs, there are differences in their architectures, features, and pricing.

Which brand is better for gaming - GeForce or ATI?

This is a highly debated question and ultimately comes down to personal preference. Both GeForce and ATI offer GPUs specifically designed for gaming, with similar capabilities and performance. It is best to research and compare specific models to determine which one better suits your gaming needs.

Is one brand more compatible with certain computer systems?

Both GeForce and ATI GPUs are compatible with a variety of computer systems. However, some manufacturers may choose to use one brand over the other in their pre-built systems. It is important to check the specifications of your computer and make sure it is compatible with the GPU you are considering.

Which brand offers better graphics for video editing and rendering?

Both GeForce and ATI offer GPUs that are suitable for video editing and rendering. However, Nvidia's GeForce GPUs are often preferred by professionals due to their CUDA technology, which can significantly improve the rendering speed and performance.

Is one brand more expensive than the other?

The pricing of both GeForce and ATI GPUs varies depending on the specific model and its features. Generally, both brands offer GPUs at similar price ranges, but Nvidia's high-end models tend to be more expensive compared to ATI's. It is important to research and compare prices of specific models to find the best deal.