Symplectic integrator/hamiltonian

• Thread starter nlake27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symplectic
In summary: QM, exponential of an operator, dimension-2 system, messy nonlinear, non-separable, chaotic system, numerical solutions, precise, numerical methods, error estimations, stability, adaptative methods, implicit methods.In summary, the individual is seeking a numerical solution for a hamiltonian mechanics problem and is looking for resources on symplectic integrators, specifically for solving messy nonlinear differential equations. Suggestions are given for using existing libraries and software to improve precision and stability, with an emphasis on considering adaptative and implicit methods.
nlake27
I'm trying to get a numerical solution for a hamiltonian mechanics problem. According to wikipedia, there's a method of solving the resulting differential equations called a symplectic integrator that's designed specifically for such problems, but my computational physics textbook doesn't mention it. If anyone could point me in the direction of a good basic resource (website, text, whatever), I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you read this on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symplectic_integrator
It is rather clear that you have to represent equation (2) or (3) in some way.
This will end-up, I think, to solving linear systems of equations on short time steps.
In other words, any method will do it.
My preffered is based on diagonalisation, just as in QM. It may not be the fastest.
What I remember the best from QM is how to compute practically the exponential of an operator (by diagonalisation).

Yes, I've read this; I'm looking for something more detailed. The Hamiltonian in question yields a dimension-2 system of messy nonlinear differential equations that are, I think, non-separable. The numerical solutions need to be pretty precise because it's a chaotic system.

Numerically, I think, it doesn't make a difference if it is a chaotic system or not.
But you need to choose a good method, of course.
I suggest you to try first by integrating some other system with possibly an analytical solution to check for errors.
I also suggest you to use existing librairies: IMSL, NAG, see netlib, and many othes, look also for matlab
Try to find a software that provides error estimations, possibly.
If not possible, try to look at the statbility of your solution with respect to the time-step or other parameters used for improving the precision.
Consider adaptative method and implicit methods.

Keywords: numerical integration of differential equations

Related to Symplectic integrator/hamiltonian

1. What is a symplectic integrator?

A symplectic integrator is a numerical method used to solve differential equations that arise in Hamiltonian systems. It ensures that the solution approximates the true solution in a symplectic manifold, which preserves the geometric structure of the system.

2. What is a Hamiltonian system?

A Hamiltonian system is a physical system that can be described using Hamilton's equations of motion. It consists of a set of particles with positions and momenta, and is governed by a Hamiltonian function which represents the total energy of the system.

3. How does a symplectic integrator differ from other numerical methods?

A symplectic integrator differs from other numerical methods in that it preserves the symplectic structure of the system, which can lead to more accurate and stable solutions. It also has the advantage of being time-reversible, meaning that running the integrator backwards in time will give the same results as running it forwards.

4. What are the advantages of using a symplectic integrator?

The advantages of using a symplectic integrator include its ability to preserve the geometric structure of the system, its time-reversibility, and its accuracy and stability compared to other numerical methods. It is also particularly useful for long-term simulations of Hamiltonian systems, as it can conserve important properties such as energy and angular momentum.

5. Are there any limitations of symplectic integrators?

While symplectic integrators have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They are only applicable to Hamiltonian systems, which may not accurately represent all physical systems. Additionally, some symplectic integrators may have difficulty with certain types of Hamiltonian systems, such as those with chaotic solutions.