Symplectic Basis on Sg and Non-Trivial Curves

In summary, a symplectic basis is a set of vectors that span a symplectic vector space and satisfy the symplectic form. It is important in understanding the topology of surfaces, describing non-trivial curves, and is necessary for integrable systems. It also has applications in various fields of science, particularly in studying complex systems.
Bacle
Hi, All:

Let Sg be the genus-g orientable surface (connected sum of g tori), and consider

a symplectic basis B= {x1,y1,x2,y2,..,x2g,y2g} for H_1(Sg,Z), i.e., a basis such that

I(xi,yj)=1 if i=j, and 0 otherwise, where I( , ) is the algebraic intersection of (xi,yj),

e.g., we may take xi to be meridians and yj to be parallel curves. Does it follow

that every non-trivial (non-bounding) SCCurve in Sg must intersect one of the

curves in B? I think the answer is yes, since, algebraically, every non-bounding curve

is a linear combination of elements in B. Is this correct? Can anyone think of a more

geometric proof?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is correct. To prove it geometrically, just consider any non-bounding simple closed curve C in the surface Sg, and note that C must intersect itself at least once (as it is not contractible). That intersection point must be a point where C intersects one of the curves in B.

Related to Symplectic Basis on Sg and Non-Trivial Curves

What is a symplectic basis?

A symplectic basis is a set of vectors that span a symplectic vector space. This means that they satisfy the symplectic form, a mathematical structure that measures the area between two vectors in the space.

What is the significance of a symplectic basis in Sg and non-trivial curves?

In Sg, which is a mathematical representation of a surface with a genus (number of holes), a symplectic basis is important for understanding the topology of the surface. Non-trivial curves, which are curves that cannot be continuously deformed into a point, can be described using a symplectic basis.

Can a symplectic basis be unique?

Yes, a symplectic basis can be unique for a given symplectic vector space. However, there may be multiple symplectic bases that can span the same space.

How is a symplectic basis related to integrable systems?

A symplectic basis is closely related to integrable systems, which are systems that can be solved using mathematical methods. In fact, the existence of a symplectic basis is a necessary condition for a system to be integrable.

Can a symplectic basis be used in other areas of science?

Yes, symplectic bases have applications in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful in studying systems with complex dynamics, such as chaotic systems.