Symmetry in finite element

In summary: Overall, it is important to carefully consider the specific requirements and limitations of your project in order to determine the best way to secure the concrete and steel boxes together. In summary, when securing a concrete and steel box together, it is important to evenly space and secure the bolts, prevent rotation and translation of either material, and apply force along the entire perimeter of the shape. Additionally, any gaps between the two materials may need to be filled with a suitable fastener.
Sadeq
Hello,

Please help my question is really basic,but i need help

I have concrete box and steel box and bolt as illustrated in picture one(quarter shape),so my questions are:

the key points in symmetry for the quarter of the shape are:
1.prevent translation in the two plan direction(allow translation in the direction vertical to the shape)
2.prevent rotation in the three directions or what( this is exactly my question, i believe i have to prevent rotation in the three direction, or maybe only around the the two axis(plan axis, not the vertical )
3. do i need to apply those conditions at the all section boundary for example steel and concrete and etc .
4. apply quarter of the load (right?)

The second question is in picture 2,the area in which i pointed here demonstrate that the bolt here is smaller than the steel(in perimeter,so don't match exactly, and concrete show up, so do i need to apply conditions on this small area

Note this area will represent only gap in the real situation see picture 3 pls

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1336/47179197.png
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/15136950.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/66361611.png/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance. In order to answer your questions, it is important to first understand what type of structure or material you are dealing with and how it needs to be secured. In the case of the concrete box and steel box, it is likely that the two need to be bolted together with some sort of fasteners. If this is the case, then the key points for symmetry for the quarter shape would be to ensure that the bolts are evenly spaced and that the bolts are strong enough to hold the two materials securely together. Additionally, the bolts should be placed in such a way that there is no rotation or translation of either material when the bolts are tightened. Finally, you would need to apply force along the entire perimeter of the shape in order to fully secure the two materials together. Regarding the small area pointed out in picture 2, if it is a gap between the steel and concrete, then it is likely that you will need to fill the gap with some sort of fastener. This could be a thin piece of metal, a special epoxy, or some other material that can effectively fill the gap while still providing a secure bond between the two materials.

Related to Symmetry in finite element

1. What is symmetry in finite element?

Symmetry in finite element refers to the property of a finite element model where the geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions are symmetric. This means that one part of the model can be mirrored or rotated to match the other part, resulting in a more efficient and simplified analysis.

2. How does symmetry affect finite element analysis?

Symmetry can significantly reduce the complexity and computational cost of a finite element analysis. By utilizing symmetry, only a portion of the model needs to be analyzed, which can save time and resources. It also allows for easier visualization and interpretation of results.

3. What types of symmetry are commonly used in finite element analysis?

The most commonly used types of symmetry in finite element analysis are mirror symmetry, cyclic symmetry, and skew symmetry. Mirror symmetry involves dividing the model into two halves along a plane and applying symmetry boundary conditions. Cyclic symmetry involves dividing the model into several identical sectors and applying rotational symmetry boundary conditions. Skew symmetry is a combination of both mirror and cyclic symmetry.

4. What are the limitations of using symmetry in finite element analysis?

While symmetry can be a useful tool in finite element analysis, it is not always applicable. In cases where there is irregular geometry or loading, symmetry cannot be used. Additionally, the presence of imperfections or asymmetries in the actual structure may lead to discrepancies in the analysis results.

5. How do I determine if my model is suitable for using symmetry in finite element analysis?

To determine if your model is suitable for using symmetry in finite element analysis, you should assess the geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions. If these components can be mirrored or rotated to create a symmetric model, then symmetry can be applied. It is also important to consider the limitations and potential discrepancies that may arise from using symmetry.