Symmetry & Field of an Infinite uniformly charged plane sheet

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of symmetry and its relation to the direction of a field on an infinite plane. It is mentioned that there is no preferred direction parallel to the plane, leading to the conclusion that the field must only point directly out of the plane. The person speaking has learned Gauss's Law and is asking for clarification on how symmetry affects the field's independence from the x-coordinate.
Shreya
Homework Statement
Think of a symmetry now which will tell you that the magnitude of the electric
field is a constant, independent of the x-coordinate for a infinite uniformly charged plane sheet?
Relevant Equations
Electric Field of uniformly charged infinite planar sheet = (surface charge density)/ (2× permittivity of free space)
Will translation parallel to x-axis work ?
Else please suggest the symmetry?
And does symmetry here refer to the symmetry of the sheet which causes the symmetry of the field or something else?
Please be kind to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about being on an infinite plane. I look around and everywhere I look is identical. Anywhere I go on the plane there is no preferred direction parallel to the plane. Therefore the field cannot point in any particular parallel direction anywhere so it must point only directly out of the plane everywhere (or be zero). Have you learned Gauss's Law?

Likes Shreya
Thank you, So here, symmetry means being it (sheet and its field) the same irrespective of position.
But, I am still confused about the field being independent of x coordinate.
This is the whole question. Can you please explain on which symmetry shows field in independent of x coordinate.
20210506_081531.png

hutchphd said:
Think about being on an infinite plane. I look around and everywhere I look is identical. Anywhere I go on the plane there is no preferred direction parallel to the plane. Therefore the field cannot point in any particular parallel direction anywhere so it must point only directly out of the plane everywhere (or be zero). Have you learned Gauss's Law?

Yes, I have learned gauss law and have learned to derive the field of an infinite plane sheet. This is the image corresponding to the question.
Please be kind to help
Screenshot_20210506-082106_Drive.png

Related to Symmetry & Field of an Infinite uniformly charged plane sheet

1. What is symmetry in relation to an infinite uniformly charged plane sheet?

Symmetry in this context refers to the even distribution of charge on the plane sheet, resulting in a uniform electric field in all directions.

2. How is the field of an infinite uniformly charged plane sheet calculated?

The electric field of an infinite uniformly charged plane sheet can be calculated using the formula E = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the direction of the electric field in an infinite uniformly charged plane sheet?

The electric field in an infinite uniformly charged plane sheet is perpendicular to the sheet, pointing away from the sheet on one side and towards the sheet on the other side.

4. How does the electric field change as you move away from the plane sheet?

The electric field decreases in magnitude as you move away from the plane sheet, following an inverse square law relationship. This means that the electric field is stronger closer to the sheet and weaker farther away.

5. Can the electric field of an infinite uniformly charged plane sheet be affected by external factors?

No, the electric field of an infinite uniformly charged plane sheet is not affected by external factors such as the presence of other charges or the distance from other objects. It remains constant at all points in space.