Should athletic scholarships be abolished on college campuses?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker shares a personal experience of being physically assaulted by a basketball player while laughing with security guards at his dormitory. Despite being sent to the hospital and dealing with a deep depression, the speaker managed to earn an "A" in their first summer semester of chemistry. They also discuss their belief that violence is sometimes necessary to deal with bullies and question the benefit of athletic scholarships. Other members of the conversation offer support and suggest taking action against the perpetrator.
Loren Booda
When an undergraduate, I was laughing with some security guards at my dormitory. The next thing I felt was my skull absorbing the impact of a full punch to my nose from a 6 foot 8 inch, 300 pound basketball player. I stared at him as he said "do you understand"? He and his diminuitive Asian American girlfriend had just entered the dorm while I was laughing manically, but with others, not against anybody. Perhaps he felt ashamed. I was sent to the hospital (with a broken nose and two black eyes) for observation in a deep depression. I managed to earn an "A" in that first summer semester of chemistry. The next year, guess who my dorm guard was? The thug!

Often now when I hear someone laughing my way, I interpret it as mocking - they have impunity to laugh, yet I would be assaulted for similar action. Also, I tend to believe there is no place for athletic scholarships, that essentialy professional sports introduces violence on campus and contributes little to academics.

Have any of you had like experiences, and how do you feel about the "freedom" to ridicule innocents in public, or the benefit of athletic scholarships to the student body as a whole?

Physics news on Phys.org
What the guy did to you was just plain wrong. It is also illegal. You could have had him arrested for assault. His assumption that you were laughing at him and his sudden violent reaction is a clear indication that he was severely mentally unstable. You were the innocent party.

Now you're stuck with this memory that makes you suspect that when you encounter laughing people it is directed toward you. I'm sure they are not. It's just a Newtonian kind of illusion: a laughing person ends to continue laughing even when their gaze shifts to something unrelated. Sometimes that unrelated thing will happen to be you. But it's not actually directed at you. So don't concern yourself about it.

Zooby

Thanks greatly, Zooby

Want me to beat him up for you?!? LOL, I learned early and often that violence IS a solution, unfortunately, because it is the only language that bullies understand. Having said that, I would have pressed charges, and had his silly big butt thrown in jail...than kicked his a$$!

Originally posted by Loren Booda
When an undergraduate, I was laughing with some security guards at my dormitory. The next thing I felt was my skull absorbing the impact of a full punch to my nose from a 6 foot 8 inch, 300 pound basketball player. I stared at him as he said "do you understand"? He and his diminuitive Asian American girlfriend had just entered the dorm while I was laughing manically, but with others, not against anybody. Perhaps he felt ashamed. I was sent to the hospital (with a broken nose and two black eyes) for observation in a deep depression. I managed to earn an "A" in that first summer semester of chemistry. The next year, guess who my dorm guard was? The thug!

Did you file a police report and reported the incident to the Dean? did you have any witnesses?

I wouldn't go down like that without fighting back, such as a swift kick in his gonads.

Last edited:

1. Should athletic scholarships be abolished on college campuses?

No, athletic scholarships should not be abolished on college campuses. They serve as a way to attract talented athletes to universities and can provide financial assistance to students who may not otherwise be able to afford a higher education.

2. Are athletic scholarships fair to non-athletes?

While some may argue that athletic scholarships give preferential treatment to athletes, it is important to remember that these students are still required to meet academic standards in order to maintain their scholarships. Additionally, non-athletes may also receive scholarships based on their academic or extracurricular achievements.

3. Do athletic scholarships have a negative impact on academic performance?

There is no clear evidence that athletic scholarships have a direct negative impact on academic performance. In fact, many student-athletes are able to excel both on the field and in the classroom due to the discipline and time management skills they develop through their sport.

4. Should universities prioritize athletic success over academic success?

No, universities should not prioritize athletic success over academic success. While athletics can be a valuable part of a university experience, the primary focus of a university should be on academic achievement and providing students with a quality education.

5. Are there any alternatives to athletic scholarships?

Yes, there are alternative forms of financial aid for students who excel in areas other than sports, such as academic scholarships, need-based grants, and talent-based scholarships in areas such as music or art. These forms of aid can help to create a more well-rounded and diverse student body on college campuses.