Symmetries of a Tetrahedron video

In summary, the conversation discusses the symmetries of a tetrahedron and how it relates to the even and odd permutations. The speaker presents their understanding that a tetrahedron has full S4 symmetry if it can be reflected in a higher dimension. They also question if this statement is correct and seek confirmation.
MrBeezer
Hello,

I made this video with my iphone depicting the Symmetries of a Tetrahedron for a presentation I did recently:

I have been searching and trying to figure out if I have presented it correctly that a Tetrahedron has full S4 symmetry if we could reflect it in a "higher dimension."

I was basing this statement off of the fact that the rotational symmetry equilateral triangle is achieved through even permutations. However, the odd permutation suggest a reflection that requires the triangle to move through an additional dimension of space.

I am assuming we can say the same about a Tetrahedron where odd permutations can only be applied if we could move the shape through a higher spatial dimension. Is this stated correctly?

Thank you,

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The rotational symmetry group of a regular tetrahedron in 3-space is ##A_4##, the even permutations of 4 elements. If reflections are allowed, then you have ##S_4##, the full group of permutations.

Related to Symmetries of a Tetrahedron video

1. What is a tetrahedron and what are its symmetries?

A tetrahedron is a three-dimensional geometric shape with four triangular faces. Its symmetries refer to the different ways that the tetrahedron can be rotated and reflected without changing its overall shape.

2. How many symmetries does a tetrahedron have?

A tetrahedron has 12 symmetries, which can be broken down into 4 rotations and 8 reflections.

3. How are the symmetries of a tetrahedron represented mathematically?

The symmetries of a tetrahedron are represented using a mathematical concept called a group. A group is a set of elements (in this case, the different symmetries) that can be combined or operated on in specific ways to produce new elements within the group.

4. What is the significance of the symmetries of a tetrahedron?

The symmetries of a tetrahedron have many practical applications, such as in crystallography and chemistry. They also have deep connections to abstract mathematical concepts and can be used to study more complex geometric shapes and structures.

5. How does the video demonstrate the symmetries of a tetrahedron?

The video uses a physical model of a tetrahedron to visually demonstrate each of its 12 symmetries. By rotating and reflecting the model, the different symmetries are highlighted and explained in a clear and interactive manner.