Symmetric Operation in Circuits

In summary, the H-biased common emitter amplifier should be able to amplify AC signals symmetrically.
physkim

Homework Statement

For the characteristic curves shown below, select resistors for an H-biased common emitter amplifier for symmetric operation. Show the load line and operating pointing on the graph

Homework Equations

What does it mean by "symmetric operation"?

The Attempt at a Solution

H-biased common emitter amplifier means transistor is biased by voltage divider transistor biasing ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you're also in circuit theory with Ens... super unclear assignment (as usual). Symmetric means that there are both positive and negative power supply rails (rather than just a positive rail and a ground). I haven't figured out the rest of the problem yet either. Good luck.

edit: one of my friends is saying that something else was meant by symmetric. I'm not even sure anymore, sorry.

Last edited:
physkim said:

Homework Statement

For the characteristic curves shown below, select resistors for an H-biased common emitter amplifier for symmetric operation. Show the load line and operating pointing on the graph

Homework Equations

What does it mean by "symmetric operation"?
My guess is that it means it should be able to accommodate inputs that swing both above and below the biased point by the same extent before clipping/distortion shows.

NascentOxygen said:
My guess is that it means it should be able to accommodate inputs that swing both above and below the biased point by the same extent before clipping/distortion shows.

so, you mean http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/amp_2.html the graph under the title "Output Characteristic Curves" that's a symmetric operation?

Spyda said:
I take it you're also in circuit theory with Ens... super unclear assignment (as usual). Symmetric means that there are both positive and negative power supply rails (rather than just a positive rail and a ground). I haven't figured out the rest of the problem yet either. Good luck.

edit: one of my friends is saying that something else was meant by symmetric. I'm not even sure anymore, sorry.
As NascentOxygen "symmetry" stands for nerither distortion,nor clip, which means Q point should be lying in the midpoint of load line.

Last edited:
A google search on symmetrical operation supports what I suggested.

NascentOxygen said:
Yes, so it is best placed to amplify AC.
Hey, Thanks for the help. I think I know what to do next !

Likes NascentOxygen

Related to Symmetric Operation in Circuits

1. What is a symmetric operation in circuits?

A symmetric operation in circuits refers to a situation where the circuit behaves the same way regardless of the direction of current flow. This means that the circuit will produce the same output whether the current flows from left to right or from right to left.

2. How is symmetry achieved in circuits?

Symmetry in circuits is achieved by designing the circuit in such a way that the components have the same characteristics and are placed in a balanced manner. This ensures that the circuit behaves the same way regardless of the direction of current flow.

3. What are the advantages of symmetric operation in circuits?

There are several advantages to symmetric operation in circuits. Firstly, it simplifies circuit analysis as the circuit behaves the same way regardless of the direction of current flow. Additionally, it reduces the chances of errors in circuit design and improves the overall stability and reliability of the circuit.

4. Are there any limitations to symmetric operation in circuits?

One limitation of symmetric operation in circuits is that it may not be achievable in all types of circuits. Some circuits, such as those with asymmetric components, may not be able to achieve perfect symmetry. Additionally, symmetric operation may also limit the functionality or performance of the circuit in certain applications.

5. How is symmetric operation used in practical applications?

Symmetric operation is used in various practical applications, such as in power distribution systems, audio amplifiers, and communication systems. It helps to improve the overall efficiency and stability of these systems by ensuring that the circuit behaves the same way regardless of the direction of current flow.