Symmetric injective mapping from N² to N

In summary: I don't know how to produce math symbols in this editor).In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a symmetric "injective" N²->N function and various potential solutions. One suggestion is to transform the original arguments (a,b) to a different pair (x,y) and define the function from (x,y) into N. Another suggestion is to use a triangle pattern to efficiently code the set of N² tuples and N. Ultimately, the formula for the first element in each row is found to be x_n = \frac{n^2 + n}{2}, and the final equation for the function becomes x(r, c) = \frac{r^2 + r}{2} + c, with the need
Estanho
Hi,

I've been trying to find one symmetric "injective" N²->N function, but could not find any. The quotes are there because the function I'm trying to find is not really injective, as I need that the two arguments be interchangeable and the value remains the same.
In other words, the tuple (a, b) yields the same result as (b, a), which defines simmetry, but the result of (a,b) and (b,a) should not be obtained by any other combination of arguments.

I'm also not sure how to prove if one such given function obeys this property, and this is one of the main problems, as I was able to find some that works for small numbers, but then fail with bigger ones (which makes it very hard for me to check).

If anyone could help me with this, it would be better if the output would not grow too fast.

Sorry if there any obvious candidates.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not sure how obvious it is, but an easy first step would be to transform the original arguments (a,b) to a different pair (x,y) that contains all of the original information about (a,b) except for the question of which is greater than the other. This transformation is symmetric by design.

For instance:
(a,b) => (min(a,b), max(a,b)).
or
(a,b) => (|a-b|, a+b)

Now define your function from (x,y) into N.

Estanho said:
Hi,

I've been trying to find one symmetric "injective" N²->N function, but could not find any. The quotes are there because the function I'm trying to find is not really injective, as I need that the two arguments be interchangeable and the value remains the same.
In other words, the tuple (a, b) yields the same result as (b, a), which defines simmetry, but the result of (a,b) and (b,a) should not be obtained by any other combination of arguments.

I'm also not sure how to prove if one such given function obeys this property, and this is one of the main problems, as I was able to find some that works for small numbers, but then fail with bigger ones (which makes it very hard for me to check).

If anyone could help me with this, it would be better if the output would not grow too fast.

Sorry if there any obvious candidates.

Thanks
One idea is to map to a subset of N with integers composed of just the digits 1 and 2, for example.

jbriggs444 said:
Not sure how obvious it is, but an easy first step would be to transform the original arguments (a,b) to a different pair (x,y) that contains all of the original information about (a,b) except for the question of which is greater than the other. This transformation is symmetric by design.

For instance:
(a,b) => (min(a,b), max(a,b)).
or
(a,b) => (|a-b|, a+b)

Now define your function from (x,y) into N.
That's an interesting one. I will try something on this.

PeroK said:
One idea is to map to a subset of N with integers composed of just the digits 1 and 2, for example.
Well, that's a classical way to map infinite sets, but it breaks the need for the numbers to stay relatively small. In fact, any of mapping of this nature would grow very fast I think.
I'd like to be able to represent numbers up to the order of 50.000, but still be able to fit the correspondent number in a int64.

Estanho said:
That's an interesting one. I will try something on this.Well, that's a classical way to map infinite sets, but it breaks the need for the numbers to stay relatively small. In fact, any of mapping of this nature would grow very fast I think.
I'd like to be able to represent numbers up to the order of 50.000, but still be able to fit the correspondent number in a int64.
Well, you posted under Maths not computer science. Mapping a finite set is trivial.

Estanho said:
For efficient coding, you do not just want an injection. You want a bijection. Write down all the numbers from 0 up to the maximum positive integer you can support in a triangle pattern:

Code:
1  2
3  4  5
6  7  8  9
10 11 12 13 14
15 ...

The larger of your two inputs selects the row. The smaller selects the column. The formula for the first element in each row is well known.

That's an efficient use of [the positive half of] the code space. It may not be the most CPU-efficient coding scheme.

PeroK said:
Well, you posted under Maths not computer science. Mapping a finite set is trivial.
I see your point, and I appreciate your help. It's just that I will not be able to use a solution like this. I should have made it clear on the first post.
Also, I believe that the set of N² tuples and N are both infinite, but countable.

jbriggs444 said:
For efficient coding, you do not just want an injection. You want a bijection. Write down all the numbers from 0 up to the maximum positive integer you can support in a triangle pattern:

Code:
1  2
3  4  5
6  7  8  9
10 11 12 13 14
15 ...

The larger of your two inputs selects the row. The smaller selects the column. The formula for the first element in each row is well known.

That's an efficient use of [the positive half of] the code space. It may not be the most CPU-efficient coding scheme.
I can easily see that the formula for the first element of each row is given by the difference equation and boundary condition
[tex]
x_n - x_{n-1} - n = 0,
x_0 = 0
[/tex]

which yields
[tex]
x_n = \frac{n^2 + n}{2}
[/tex]

As I understand, the column c will simply be summed with the value of the row, starting from 0. So, the final equation looks like:
[tex]
x(r, c) = \frac{r^2 + r}{2} + c
[/tex]
where r is greater than c. So, there's just the need to order the two arguments, by doing as your first tip, in this case (a, b) => (max(a,b), min(a,b))

Is that correct? It seems to map to your sketch (I'm lazy and haven't spread it any further, as it seems not to be necessary).

With this solution, as an int64 can go up to 9223372036854775807, we can find a good limit value for both r and c like this:
[tex]
9223372036854775807 = \frac{max^2 + max}{2} + max
[/tex]
which yields max = 4294967295. This is much more than I expect to use.

If this is right, it is an excellent mapping in O(1).

Last edited:
Estanho said:
As I understand, the column c will simply be summed with the value of the row, starting from 0. So, the final equation looks like:
##x(r,c)=\frac{r^2+r}{2}+c##​
where r is greater than c. So, there's just the need to order the two arguments, by doing as your first tip, in this case (a, b) => (max(a,b), min(a,b))
Yep. That is what I had in mind.

Related to Symmetric injective mapping from N² to N

1. What is a symmetric injective mapping from N² to N?

A symmetric injective mapping from N² to N is a function that takes in two natural numbers (N) and returns a single natural number, while also satisfying the properties of symmetry and injectivity. This means that for any two inputs, the output will always be the same, and no two inputs will produce the same output.

2. How is a symmetric injective mapping different from a regular mapping?

A symmetric injective mapping has the added properties of symmetry and injectivity, which a regular mapping may not have. This means that for a regular mapping, there may be multiple inputs that produce the same output, and the output may not always be the same for the same inputs.

3. What is the purpose of a symmetric injective mapping?

A symmetric injective mapping is often used in mathematics and computer science to establish a one-to-one correspondence between two sets of numbers. This can be useful in various applications, such as data encryption and compression.

4. Are there any limitations to using a symmetric injective mapping?

One limitation of using a symmetric injective mapping is that it only works for finite sets of numbers. This means that it cannot be used for infinite sets, such as real numbers. Additionally, the mapping may not always be easy to compute, especially for larger sets of numbers.

5. Can a symmetric injective mapping be reversed?

Yes, a symmetric injective mapping can be reversed, as it is a one-to-one correspondence between two sets of numbers. This means that the mapping can be reversed by finding the inverse function, which will map the outputs back to the original inputs.