How do I solve this challenging mechanic statics problem?

In summary, the person is struggling with a problem for their homework and has provided a summary of their steps so far. They have found the centroids of two triangles and calculated the total area force. They then set up equations to find the reactions at two points and have solved for the values. However, their answers do not match the answers in the textbook and they suspect it may be due to how they dealt with the applied moment. Another person has helped them realize their mistake and they are now able to continue with the problem.
paul11273
I have a problem for HW that is driving me crazy!
A copy of the original problem from the text is attached.

Here is what I have done so far...

First, I split the area under the force horizontally into two triangles and found the centroid of each.
Centroid of upper triangle is 3m from left side.
Centroid of lower tri is 6 m from left side.

Area force of triangle 1 is 15.75 kN
Area force of triangle 2 is 6.75 kN

Total area force is 22.5 kN

Location to place this equivalent force is 3.9m from left side.

I believe I am good to this point. Now, to find the reactions at point B and C, I have setup the following equations:

Sum Fy = By + Cy - 22.5kN - 50kNm/2m - 50kNm/8m = 0
and
Sum Ma = 2m*By + 8m*Cy - 22.5kN(3.9m) - 50kNm = 0

Solving these equations simultaneously I end up with
Cy = 5.04kN
By = 48.71kN

According to the answers in the back of the book (Vector Mechanics for Engineers, 7th ed - Beer, Johnston & Eisenberg) the answers are
Cy = 15.46 kN
By = 7.04 kN

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am spent on this problem and just cannot see where I am going wrong. I suspect my problem is how I am dealing with the 50kNm torque shown on the diagram.
Thanks.

Attachments

• File0081b.jpg
    File0081b.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got some extra terms in your force balance equation:

[tex] \Sigma F_y = 0 = B_y + C_y - 22.5 {\rm kN} [/tex]

You shouldn't have any terms from your applied moment - it's an applied moment. You'd only consider forces there if you resolved it into a couple or something.

OK, I got it now. Thanks Jamesrc. I treated the moment all wrong. You pushed me in the right direction.
Thanks again.

What is a "Mechanic Statics Problem"?

A "Mechanic Statics Problem" is a type of problem that involves the application of mechanics principles to find the equilibrium and stability of a system of forces acting on an object. It typically requires knowledge of concepts such as Newton's laws of motion, free body diagrams, and vector analysis.

What types of problems can be solved using mechanic statics?

Mechanic statics problems can be used to solve a variety of engineering and physics problems, such as calculating the forces acting on a bridge or determining the stability of a structure. They are also commonly used in the design and analysis of mechanical systems.

How do you approach solving a mechanic statics problem?

The first step in solving a mechanic statics problem is to draw a clear and accurate free body diagram of the system. This will help identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Next, apply Newton's laws of motion and use vector analysis to determine the net forces and moments acting on the object. Finally, use equilibrium equations to solve for the unknown forces or moments.

What are some common challenges when solving mechanic statics problems?

Some common challenges when solving mechanic statics problems include correctly identifying all the forces acting on the object, determining the correct direction and magnitude of these forces, and setting up and solving the equilibrium equations. It is also important to take into account any friction or other external factors that may affect the system.

Why is it important to understand mechanic statics?

Understanding mechanic statics is crucial in the fields of engineering and physics, as it allows for the analysis and design of stable and safe structures and mechanical systems. It also provides a foundation for more advanced concepts in mechanics, such as dynamics and fluid mechanics. Additionally, knowledge of mechanic statics can be applied to real-world problems and improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.