Sylow subgroup of some factor group

In summary, the conversation discusses whether PN/N is a Sylow p-subgroup of KN/N, given that G is a finite group, K is a subgroup of G, and N is a normal subgroup of G. The conclusion is that PN/N is indeed a Sylow p-subgroup of KN/N, based on the fact that PN/N is a p-subgroup of KN/N and that p does not divide [KN/N:PN/N]. This is justified through the use of the 2nd isomorphism theorem and the fact that P is a Sylow p-subgroup of K. The validity of these steps is further discussed in a linked post. However, cross-posting is discouraged as it may result in fewer
moont14263
Hi. I have the following question:

Let [itex]G[/itex] be a finite group. Let [itex]K[/itex] be a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex] and let [itex]N[/itex] be a normal subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]. Let [itex]P[/itex] be a Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]K[/itex]. Is [itex]PN/N[/itex] is a Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]KN/N[/itex]?

Here is what I think.

Since [itex]PN/N \cong P/(P \cap N)[/itex], then [itex]PN/N[/itex] is a [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]KN/N[/itex].

Now [itex][KN/N:PN/N]=\frac{|KN|}{|N|} \frac{|N|}{|PN|}= \frac{|KN|}{|PN|}= \frac{|K||N|}{|K \cap N|} \frac{|P \cap N|}{|P||N|} = \frac{|K||P \cap N|}{|P||K \cap N|}=[/itex] [itex][K:P]\frac{|P \cap N|}{|K \cap N|}[/itex]Since [itex]P[/itex] is a Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]K[/itex], then [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex][K:P][/itex]. Also, [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex]\frac{|P \cap N|}{|K \cap N|}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{|P \cap N|}{|K \cap N|} \leq 1[/itex] because [itex]P \cap N[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]K \cap N[/itex]. Therefore [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex][KN/N:PN/N][/itex].

Thus [itex]PN/N[/itex] is a Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]KN/N[/itex].

Am I right?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks broadly OK to me. I just have a few questions.
moont14263 said:
Since [itex]PN/N \cong P/(P \cap N)[/itex], then [itex]PN/N[/itex] is a [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]KN/N[/itex].
1. How do we know that ##PN/N## is a ##p##-group?

$$\frac{|KN|}{|PN|}= \frac{|K||N|}{|K \cap N|} \frac{|P \cap N|}{|P||N|}$$
2. This step seems to be doing a number of things, the validity of none of which is obvious to me. Can you justify it? I can get to the RHS from ##[KN/N:PN/N]##, but not by the route shown above. I would use the 2nd isomorphism theorem and the fact that, for finite groups, ##[A:B]= \frac{|A|}{|B|}##.

$$\frac{|K||P \cap N|}{|P||K \cap N|}=[K:P]\frac{|P \cap N|}{|K \cap N|}$$Since [itex]P[/itex] is a Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]K[/itex], then [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex][K:P][/itex].
3. You can stop before the equals sign and just observe that, since [itex]P[/itex] is a Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]K[/itex], [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex]\frac{|K|}{|P|}[/itex], since the multiplicity of ##p## in the order of ##|P|## must equal the multiplicity of ##p## in the order of ##|K|##.

You are free to do what you want. But this is a cross-post. Asking the same question at several different sites. This means Bungo and Andrew both worked out an answer. If you believe it is your right to do this, the net result of persistent cross-posting is a strong possibility that folks will skip your posts next time they see them.

I already know I will. Bye.

Likes Samy_A

Related to Sylow subgroup of some factor group

1. What is a Sylow subgroup?

A Sylow subgroup is a subgroup of a finite group that has the same order as the largest power of a prime number that divides the order of the group. It is named after the mathematician Ludwig Sylow.

2. How is a Sylow subgroup related to a factor group?

A Sylow subgroup is a subgroup of a factor group that is also a Sylow subgroup of the original group. This means that the Sylow subgroup can be used to understand the structure of the factor group.

3. What is the importance of Sylow subgroups in group theory?

Sylow subgroups are important in group theory because they provide a powerful tool for understanding the structure and properties of finite groups. They also have important applications in the study of symmetry and abstract algebra.

4. How can Sylow subgroups be used to find normal subgroups?

If a Sylow subgroup is normal in the original group, it will also be normal in any factor group that contains it. Therefore, finding a normal Sylow subgroup can lead to the discovery of normal subgroups in the larger group.

5. Can Sylow subgroups exist in non-finite groups?

No, Sylow subgroups only exist in finite groups. In fact, Sylow's Theorem states that every finite group has at least one Sylow subgroup. Therefore, the concept of Sylow subgroups is not applicable to non-finite groups.