Switcing DC on an off repeatedly 'laymans question'

• Thread starter Robin07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc
In summary, the difference between switching DC current and AC is that AC flows in opposite directions while DC only flows in one direction. Pulsed DC can be thought of as AC with a DC bias. A capacitor can be used to remove the DC component and create an AC square wave. Capacitors in series with a resistor can be used for capacitive coupling, where the changes in voltage are passed through to the other side. For a pulsed wave, the capacitor would be charged to half of the pulse voltage, resulting in a square wave output.
Robin07
I realize that this may be an unlearned question.

Is switching DC current, on and off, let's say 60x/sec, similar or exactly the same as AC. From a laymans point of view it is not. I may stand to be corrected but, AC indicates that the current flows, or is switched to flow, in opposite directions and DC, be it switched or not, will still flow only in one direction...

Thanks for your patients

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your understanding is correct. What you describe is often termed pulsed DC and it can also be thought of as AC with a DC bias--if you put this signal through a capacitor, the DC component is removed and you're left with an AC square wave.

I read through Wikipedia's description in regards to 'capacitors and DC bias. Thanks negitron, not that I understand it all or even a small percentage, there is so much for me to learn.

OK, so I'm looking for a capacitor that will reach equilibrium with the source voltage, at that point the current through the entire circuit will decay. In essence discharging a charged capacitor, returning the entire circuit to zero, hence the square wave...yes?

Do you have a recomemdation to which type of capacitor I should be looking at?

Imagine a capacitor in series with a resistor to ground.

Apply a positive voltage to the open end of the capacitor. It will charge up via the resistor until there is no voltage across the resistor and all the voltage is across the capacitor.

Now briefly connect the open end of the capacitor to ground.
The capacitor doesn't have time to discharge, so the voltage across the resistor goes negative by the amount that the capacitor was charged to.

Now briefly connect the capacitor to double the previous voltage. Again, the capacitor doesn't get time to charge more and the voltage across the resistor plus the voltage across the capacitor equals the new voltage, so the resistor voltage equals the increase in voltage.

This is how capacitive coupling works.The capacitor stays charged to the DC voltage, but the changes in voltage are passed through to the other side.

In the case you describe, a pulsed wave of say 5 volts alternating with 0 volts would charge the series capacitor to 2.5 volts and give square wave output swinging from +2.5 volts to -2.5 volts

Related to Switcing DC on an off repeatedly 'laymans question'

1. What is "Switching DC on and off repeatedly"?

This refers to the process of repeatedly turning on and off a direct current (DC) power source. This can be done manually or automatically using a switch or electronic circuit.

2. Why would someone want to switch DC on and off repeatedly?

One common reason for this is to control the flow of electricity to a specific device or circuit. It can also be used for testing purposes or to create certain effects, such as pulsing lights.

3. Are there any risks involved with switching DC on and off repeatedly?

Yes, there can be risks involved with this process. Constantly switching on and off a DC power source can cause wear and tear on the circuit, potentially leading to malfunctions or damage. It is important to carefully consider the potential risks before engaging in this practice.

4. Can any type of device or circuit handle switching DC on and off repeatedly?

Not all devices or circuits are designed to handle this type of operation. It is important to check the specifications and limitations of a device or circuit before attempting to switch DC on and off repeatedly. Using the wrong equipment can result in damage or failure.

5. Is there a recommended method for switching DC on and off repeatedly?

Yes, there are various methods and circuits that can be used for this purpose. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable professional or do thorough research before attempting to switch DC on and off repeatedly. Safety precautions should also be taken to avoid any potential hazards.