Switching positions internally, what's the proper etiquette?

• Other
  • Thread starter Hodgey8806
  • Start date
In summary, depending on the manager you are interviewing with, you may want to dress up for the interview or not. You don't need a cover letter, but it may be a nice touch.
Hodgey8806
I have an opportunity to get me on my career path that I plan to stay in. The position is within the company I work for, and I think I have a good opportunity to get it.

As for etiquette, our company is generally business casual (button up/polo) but we get to wear jeans. However, on the day of the interview, do you think I should wear a suit?

Also, should I include a cover letter?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this depends heavily on the manager you are hiring for me. My group is a shorts and t-shirt place. I don't care how my employees dress as long as it isn't terribly out of place. Thus, whenever I hiring internally in the company, I personally don't care if they dress up or the same. However, I'm very much aware of hiring managers who view dressing up as a sign that "someone really wants the job". I strongly believe in staying on the safe side. I doubt anyone will fault you for dressing up, but it may be that they fault you for dressing down.

Likes Dale and Hodgey8806
MarneMath said:
I think this depends heavily on the manager you are hiring for me. My group is a shorts and t-shirt place. I don't care how my employees dress as long as it isn't terribly out of place. Thus, whenever I hiring internally in the company, I personally don't care if they dress up or the same. However, I'm very much aware of hiring managers who view dressing up as a sign that "someone really wants the job". I strongly believe in staying on the safe side. I doubt anyone will fault you for dressing up, but it may be that they fault you for dressing down.

What do you think about a cover letter?
I think it might be a nice touch to explain that I really want the opportunity.

I've never written a cover letter in my life. I never ever plan too. Nevertheless, it probably wouldn't hurt.

MarneMath said:
I doubt anyone will fault you for dressing up, but it may be that they fault you for dressing down.
+1 on that

Related to Switching positions internally, what's the proper etiquette?

1. Can I switch positions within my current lab or research group?

It ultimately depends on the policies and procedures of your specific lab or research group. Some may allow for internal switching, while others may have a more strict hiring process for new positions. It's important to communicate with your supervisor or lab leader to understand the possibilities and requirements for switching positions.

2. What is the appropriate way to express interest in switching positions within my lab?

The best way to express interest in switching positions is to have an open and honest conversation with your supervisor or lab leader. Be sure to communicate your reasons for wanting to switch and how it aligns with your career goals. It's also important to be respectful and understanding of any potential limitations or concerns they may have.

3. Should I apply for a new position within my lab or wait for an opportunity to arise?

This is a personal decision and may depend on the specific circumstances within your lab or research group. If there are no current openings, you may want to discuss with your supervisor the possibility of creating a new position or taking on additional responsibilities. However, if there is an open position that aligns with your interests and skills, it may be worth applying and expressing your interest in the role.

4. How will switching positions affect my current projects and responsibilities?

Switching positions within a lab or research group can have an impact on your current projects and responsibilities. It's important to have a plan in place for how to transition your work and ensure that it is completed or handed off to another team member. Be sure to communicate with your supervisor and colleagues to minimize any disruptions.

5. Will I receive the same level of support and resources in a new position within my lab?

This may vary depending on the specific position and resources available within your lab or research group. It's important to discuss this with your supervisor and understand the level of support and resources that will be available in your new position. If there are any concerns, be sure to address them before making a decision to switch positions.