Switching losses ESR and transient response

In summary, switching frequency affects transient response by increasing the switching losses from MOSFETs and potentially causing more ripple due to higher ESR from capacitors. However, the speed of the feedback loop, DC-DC topology, and other control loop factors also play a role in transient response. Increasing switching frequency can reduce overshoot and undershoot, but there are tradeoffs and interactions with other components. PWMs play a crucial role in voltage regulation by comparing Vref and Verror and adjusting duty cycle to power or turn off MOSFETs, and the difference between Vref and Verror is where the difference between different PWMs lies.
ssb2245
I need someone to tell me if what I am saying is true or BS?

Switching Frequency: Is simply defined as the frequency (amount of times) the same operation occurs, in our case the amount of times per second each phase is switched on.
Duty Cycle: is thought of as the time the object is on divided by the total time the object can be on. It can be expressed as a percentage or ratio. For our purpose and explanation we can also think of it as Vo/Vi=duty cycle. Duty Cycle is used in the control scheme of many PWMs.

Efficiency and temperature are probably the biggest limiting factors behind transient response

every time the phase is working switching losses occur from the MOSFETs so you can’t just ramp up switching frequency

Switching losses (from MOSFETs) theoretically are one of the most significant factors that set the upper cap on switching frequency.

one huge factor that affects transient response as much or more than switching frequency is bulk output capacitor parasitics (ESR). Higher ESR from a capacitor ends up causing more ripple.

Another theory is that the actual size of a MSOFET designates a proportion to resistance, larger the MOSFET, the more resistance.

?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ssb2245 said:
I need someone to tell me if what I am saying is true or BS?

Switching Frequency: Is simply defined as the frequency (amount of times) the same operation occurs, in our case the amount of times per second each phase is switched on.
Duty Cycle: is thought of as the time the object is on divided by the total time the object can be on. It can be expressed as a percentage or ratio. For our purpose and explanation we can also think of it as Vo/Vi=duty cycle. Duty Cycle is used in the control scheme of many PWMs.

Efficiency and temperature are probably the biggest limiting factors behind transient response

every time the phase is working switching losses occur from the MOSFETs so you can’t just ramp up switching frequency

Switching losses (from MOSFETs) theoretically are one of the most significant factors that set the upper cap on switching frequency.

one huge factor that affects transient response as much or more than switching frequency is bulk output capacitor parasitics (ESR). Higher ESR from a capacitor ends up causing more ripple.

Another theory is that the actual size of a MSOFET designates a proportion to resistance, larger the MOSFET, the more resistance.

?

Much of what you say is true, but I'm not so sure about this:

"Efficiency and temperature are probably the biggest limiting factors behind transient response"

What is the context of your question?

I am writing a review on a motherboard, and it has a "souped" up power supply for the cpu.

I thought that switching losses from the MOSFETs hurt efficiency a lot and that is why we don't have motherboard power supplies that switch at 3mhz per channel. Plus the way computers are now you can't have a power supply with high temperatures.

If not efficiency and then temperatures, then what limits the transient response?

maybe i should have said efficiency/temps limit switching frequency?

Attachments

• vrm.JPG
    vrm.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
ssb2245 said:
I am writing a review on a motherboard, and it has a "souped" up power supply for the cpu.

I thought that switching losses from the MOSFETs hurt efficiency a lot and that is why we don't have motherboard power supplies that switch at 3mhz per channel. Plus the way computers are now you can't have a power supply with high temperatures.

If not efficiency and then temperatures, then what limits the transient response?

maybe i should have said efficiency/temps limit switching frequency?

Switching losses do increase with frequency, so that part of your analysis is correct.

Transient response depends some on the switching frequency, but also on the speed of the feedback loop and compensation characteristics. It also depends on the DC-DC topology, and on things like duty cycle limiting and other things that you do in your control loop. There are tradeoffs between things like transient response time and overshoot, for example, and interactions with things like current limiting schemes.

ok its a mixed signal analog interleaved synchronous buck controller. So the feed back loop isn't controlled by PID or digital techniques. It uses current sensing across a voltage drop across a resister on every phase.

I thought if switching frequency was increase overshoot and undershoot are greatly reduced? so if you increased the SF then wouldn't you increase transient response and overshoot?

Some extra stuff if you don't mind looking at it:

"This is probably one of the most important issues any designer has to deal with, and this is where the PWM comes into play. High quality analogue and digital PWMs have excellent voltage regulation. Basically the way it works right now, is that once a user sets a voltage (we will call it Vref) the PWM then takes the proper steps to create this voltage. The voltage which is actually outputted is almost always different than what is set, so that voltage (we will cal Verror) is compared against the Vref and then the difference is used to change duty cycle and to power or turn off MOSFETs. The way that it goes from the difference between Vref-Verror to on/off of MOSFET is where the huge difference between PWMs come in. (Covered in Analogue VS. Digital the battle of the unequal equals) "

Hi everyone and i am sorry if i make this question to the wrong place but one old comment i just read intrigued my interest.

Could you please berkeman explain a little bit how switching frequency changes the transient respone? I can see about the feedback and the compensation characteristics but i have not a clear opinion about the switching frequency.

If possible a simple example to make it more clear!

Thanks!

_zeQ said:
Hi everyone and i am sorry if i make this question to the wrong place but one old comment i just read intrigued my interest.

Could you please berkeman explain a little bit how switching frequency changes the transient respone? I can see about the feedback and the compensation characteristics but i have not a clear opinion about the switching frequency.

If possible a simple example to make it more clear!

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

Higher switching frequencies in DC-DC converters mainly helps to reduce output ripple. It also can help move switching noise up above sensitive analog circuitry's passband in some applications. As for transient response, it can help improve it, especially with respect to overshoot on stepped load transients. Since there is finer granularity in the switching with a higher switching frequency, your control loop has "more chances" to respond to changes in output current loading.

The main disadvantage of using a higher switching frequency is increased losses in the switching transistor.

Related to Switching losses ESR and transient response

1. What are switching losses in electronic circuits?

Switching losses refer to the energy dissipated during the operation of a switch in an electronic circuit. This energy is lost in the form of heat and can negatively impact the efficiency and reliability of the circuit.

2. What is ESR and how does it affect switching losses?

ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) is the resistance present in an electronic circuit due to the parasitic effects of components such as capacitors and inductors. This resistance can cause additional losses during switching and can impact the overall performance of the circuit.

3. How can ESR be reduced to minimize switching losses?

ESR can be reduced by using high-quality components with lower ESR values, optimizing the layout of the circuit to minimize parasitic effects, and using proper decoupling techniques. Additionally, using higher switching frequencies can also help reduce ESR losses.

4. What is transient response in electronic circuits?

Transient response refers to the ability of an electronic circuit to quickly and accurately respond to changes in input signals. This is important for circuits such as power supplies, where a stable and immediate response is necessary to maintain the desired output voltage or current.

5. How can the transient response of a circuit be improved?

The transient response of a circuit can be improved by using components with faster response times, optimizing the circuit layout to minimize parasitic effects, and using proper feedback and control mechanisms. Additionally, selecting the appropriate switching frequency can also help improve the transient response of a circuit.