Switching from a biomedical physics major to physics

In summary, it would probably take someone who is already enrolled in a physics major and has taken prerequisite courses to about 3-4 extra semesters to cover the same material as someone who started from scratch.
Ergulde
I'm currently doing a biomedical physics major because it's the best choice to follow the med school track in something physics related, and is a really good fallback plan as my advisor described it. Now my true passion is in physics and I really want to get a PhD later on, so if I didn't make it into med school, does anyone have any idea of how long it could take me to then get a physics BS after finishing my biomedical physics major?

If you think taking a physics major in the first place to get into med school, please feel free to tell me why.

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot really depends on the specifics of your particular "biomedical physics" program. Some are essentially a physics program with some upper year electives related to medical physics and biophysics. Others have a more watered down physics curriculum and may not be accepted as a prerequisite degree for a physics graduate program. So it really depends. Look up the physics major's required courses at your school. How much extra time would it take to cover those on your current path? In most cases the difference probably comes down to a couple of courses.

As for taking a straight physics major for getting into medicine - the only real concern is covering the prerequisite courses. Provided you get in the organic chemistry, biology, etc. that are required for entry, it doesn't matter what you do your degree in. I think the main consequence of this is that you fill up your electives quickly with medical school prerequisites and there is less flexibility to take other courses. For some people this isn't a problem.

Choppy said:
A lot really depends on the specifics of your particular "biomedical physics" program. Some are essentially a physics program with some upper year electives related to medical physics and biophysics. Others have a more watered down physics curriculum and may not be accepted as a prerequisite degree for a physics graduate program. So it really depends. Look up the physics major's required courses at your school. How much extra time would it take to cover those on your current path? In most cases the difference probably comes down to a couple of courses.

As for taking a straight physics major for getting into medicine - the only real concern is covering the prerequisite courses. Provided you get in the organic chemistry, biology, etc. that are required for entry, it doesn't matter what you do your degree in. I think the main consequence of this is that you fill up your electives quickly with medical school prerequisites and there is less flexibility to take other courses. For some people this isn't a problem.

For me that isn't a problem, I'd prefer taking science courses such as biology or organic chemistry. But my only issue is the time factor now, I was barely able to take 6 credits in my first semester because my transcripts took too long to be processed from Lebanon. But also because I took high school in Lebanon, which will hopefully be in my favor when it comes to taking the hard classes under too much pressure.

Related to Switching from a biomedical physics major to physics

1. What is the main difference between a biomedical physics major and a physics major?

The main difference between these two majors is their focus. Biomedical physics focuses on the application of physics principles to the field of medicine, while physics focuses on the broad study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

2. Will switching from a biomedical physics major to physics affect my career options?

Switching from a biomedical physics major to physics may open up new career options, as physics is a broad field with applications in many industries such as engineering, research, and technology. However, it may also limit opportunities in the specific field of biomedical physics.

3. Will I need to take additional courses if I switch to a physics major?

It is likely that you will need to take some additional courses to fulfill the requirements for a physics major. However, many of the courses in a biomedical physics major will also count towards a physics major, so you may not need to take as many additional courses as you think.

4. How will switching to a physics major affect my graduation timeline?

This will depend on your individual situation and how many courses you have already taken that can count towards a physics major. It is best to speak with an academic advisor to determine the impact on your graduation timeline.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that I will need to succeed in a physics major after studying biomedical physics?

While a background in biomedical physics may give you a strong foundation in certain areas of physics, you may need to brush up on other topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is important to be open to learning new concepts and to seek help from professors or tutors if needed.