Swish and swishmax against say flash mx

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flash
In summary: In summary:-Flash is better than swish-Swish is easier to use if you don't have any flash experience, but it's limited-Flash MX is better if you want to do more complex animations
Tom McCurdy
What do you guys think of swish
and
swishmax

against say flash mx

Computer science news on Phys.org
I liked it enough to buy it - but, unfortunately, I haven't had much time to explore it beyond puttering around. Maybe soon!

I have used swish for a long timel. It is very easy to use, and very useful, however to swish users u can always tell the difference between it and flash mx. I was wondering if anyone has used mx to the point where they could tell about how long it takes to get good at.

on the minus side of swish... i had gotten to the point where i had almost maxed out the use of the program, but u can do a lot with plug ins, however because of ... the fashion i got swish... it doesn't seem to allow plug ins

i could post some links to some stuff i have made if anyone would like to see some swish examples.

I have used both (though now I only have Flash MX, I ditched swish.)

Swish is nice if you just want to knock up something quick, easy and simple. However, if you're looking to make rich-media applications, decent graphics or anything like that, don't ever try and use swish. It's simply to basic, and you'll need to search for plugins and things to do things flash could do with its hands tied behind its back.

Flash = Good. :approve:

Edit: I just reread your post and realized I missed a bit.

I've used flash for about 3 years now, since Flash 3 (I think... might have been flash 4...) I would say I'm very experienced with it, and I can do almost anything with it (as long as it doesn't involve really complex maths... I'm going to learn some of that at uni :smile: ). I've learned it all by messing around, and I've only read one or two tutorials ever. Using that method, I've discovered a thousand and one things people would never find if they used tutorials... but it's taken a long time.

You'll probably (if you get flash) want to do some tutorials to learn it quick. You should have expert knowledge within about 4 months of learning. Try doing all the tutorials that come with it, and then going to www.flashkit.com, a handy site for everything flash.

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you link me to some some of the work you have done in both flash mx and swish

swish is a very good program. i have swish and flash mx but i certainly know much more about swish. i don't do a lot of work in either of them these days because flash is not really web standard and so i am trying to keep my websites universal.

I don't think I've kept anything I've made in swish, only one or two simple animations.

I've made A LOT of things in flash. I'd like to point you to my site, but I'm not so sure I should. At the moment I'm trying to change hosts (my old hosts are having problemts), and my site is in shambles. I've only got a half finished homepage up, and a game called The Playground 2. I guess you can look at that, though the version that's online has a lot of errors, and is no where near completed.

Here it is:
http://amwbonfire.com/playground

I could never, ever, EVER have even considered making this in swish.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG
did you really make that
if so you are my hero of the week

YOU MUST TEACH ME
lol
that is my favorite game of all time
(one of)
wow

wow

How I still can't believe you made that

-no way u made that by yourself
wow

And your only 16
I must say I am very impressed
please forgive my earlier posts
I was not saying that i didn't believe you
but merely trying to compliment you on your work
again
wow

:biggrin: :smile:

And now, to be mean, I should say I didn't make that at all.

(Just kidding, of course I made it.)

Anyway, I don't think I could teach you (it'd take a LONG time). I could, however, give you the source code files for it (do you have flash?) and you can have a look around it. You could then ask me any queries you have about any parts of it.

Thanks for the positive feedback. You're the only person who's ever said anything about it! :eek:

Andy Wells
AMW Bonfire

Well, swish is a lot easier to use if u don't have any background at all in flash... however, flash is capable of a hell of a lot more than swish... u can still make some pretty good effects in swish though but it may take some extra creativity by mixing and matching effects already present in swishmax... but if u have the time and patience, u might as well learn flash MX... its a lot better especially for morphing and other advanced effects...

yes I agree
one thing about swish
is that you can always tell when it is swish
it seems almost fake

more like a generic effect... unlike in flash mx wherein the effects are created with a bit more depth... gago ka

Related to Swish and swishmax against say flash mx

1. What is the difference between Swish and Swishmax compared to Flash MX?

The main difference between Swish and Swishmax compared to Flash MX is that Swish and Swishmax are primarily designed for creating animations and presentations, while Flash MX is a more comprehensive multimedia authoring tool. Swish and Swishmax have a simpler interface and are easier to use for beginners, while Flash MX offers more advanced features and customization options.

2. Can Swish and Swishmax be used to create interactive websites like Flash MX?

Yes, both Swish and Swishmax have the ability to create interactive websites with animations and buttons, similar to Flash MX. However, Flash MX offers more advanced scripting capabilities, making it a better choice for creating complex and interactive websites.

3. Is there a significant difference in price between Swish and Swishmax compared to Flash MX?

Yes, there is a significant difference in price between Swish and Swishmax compared to Flash MX. Swish and Swishmax are typically more affordable options, with Swishmax being the more expensive of the two. Flash MX, on the other hand, is a professional software with a higher price tag.

4. Can projects created in Swish and Swishmax be exported to Flash MX?

No, projects created in Swish and Swishmax cannot be exported to Flash MX. Each software uses different file formats and has different capabilities, so projects created in one cannot be transferred to the other. However, Swish and Swishmax have the option to export projects as Flash files, which can then be opened in Flash MX for further editing.

5. Which software is better for creating animations and presentations - Swish, Swishmax, or Flash MX?

It ultimately depends on your needs and level of expertise. Swish and Swishmax are more beginner-friendly and are great for creating simple animations and presentations. Flash MX, on the other hand, offers more advanced features and is suitable for creating complex animations and interactive websites. If you are just starting out and want to create basic animations, Swish or Swishmax may be a better choice. If you need more advanced features and have experience with multimedia authoring, Flash MX may be the better option.