Swing of a hanging rope due to wind

In summary, the question is about determining the height that a rope will swing when attached to two wooden poles set a distance apart, with a given wind pressure and rope length. The total force on the rope can be found by multiplying the wind load per foot by the length of the rope, and the weight of the rope will also play a role in determining the height. The equation for finding the height involves equating the torque from the wind with the torque from the weight of the swing as it swings away from the vertical position.
derek88
Hello Friends. I have a question that may have to do with wind lift and other effects.

I have two wooden poles set into the ground. Both poles are upright and has a height of H feet. The horizontal separation of these poles is S feet. Let's say I attach a rope in between these poles so that the ends of the rope are attached to the tops of the poles. This rope has a length of L feet and has a diameter of D feet.

If I have a sustained wind pressure of W lbs/ft^2, how high will the rope swing?

My work so far:

Wind load on the rope = (Diameter of rope, in feet)*(Wind Pressure on a cylindrical surface, in lbs/ft^2) [lbs/foot]

Total Force on rope = (Wind load on rope, lbs/foot)*(Length of rope, in feet) [lbs]

Any help/direction on this problem would be greatly appreciated! Also any helpful internet links. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
briefly: force times distance

I am not sure if you need to work out some kind of integral or not, after all, the weight of the rope is nicely equally distributed and so is the force from the wind. So, maybe averages would be just find (i.e., rope as rigid body and force on center of mass)

But things are going to work out like this:

The weight of the rope is always point down
initially, the "parallel" distance from the weight to the pivot (top of posts) is zero and hence the torque is zero
the force of the wind is alway horizontal
the distance of the wind force to the pivot can be probably averaged and say that it is half way down the swing and so there is an initial force that overcomes the zero force from the weight
as the swing swings away from the vertical position, the weight of the swing starts producing its own torque and as the center of mass moves higher, it reduces the torque from the wind...at some angle, the two torques become the same...that is what you are looking for...so, right the equation equating the two torques as function of the angle of the swing from the vertical

Related to Swing of a hanging rope due to wind

1. How does wind affect the swing of a hanging rope?

Wind can affect the swing of a hanging rope in two main ways. First, the force of the wind can cause the rope to move back and forth, causing the rope to swing. Secondly, wind can create air resistance, which can slow down or speed up the movement of the rope depending on the direction of the wind. This can also affect the amplitude and frequency of the swing.

2. Can wind cause a hanging rope to swing in a circular motion?

Yes, wind can cause a hanging rope to swing in a circular motion. This is because the force of the wind can push the rope in a circular path, causing it to swing in that direction. The speed and direction of the wind can also affect the size and shape of the circular swing.

3. Is the swing of a hanging rope due to wind a predictable phenomenon?

The swing of a hanging rope due to wind can be predictable to a certain extent. Factors such as wind speed, direction, and the weight and length of the rope can all affect the swing. However, other variables such as turbulence and changing wind patterns can make it difficult to accurately predict the exact movement of the rope.

4. How does the weight of the rope affect its swing due to wind?

The weight of the rope can greatly affect its swing due to wind. A heavier rope will have more inertia and will require a stronger force from the wind to start swinging. However, once it is in motion, a heavier rope will also have more momentum and will continue to swing for a longer period of time compared to a lighter rope.

5. Can the length of the rope affect its swing due to wind?

Yes, the length of the rope can have a significant impact on its swing due to wind. A longer rope will have a larger amplitude and slower frequency compared to a shorter rope. This is because a longer rope will have more potential energy and will take longer to complete each swing. Additionally, the length of the rope can also affect its sensitivity to wind, with longer ropes being more easily affected by wind force.