Swing Force Calculation: Solve for Horizontal Force

In summary, the parent needs to apply a horizontal force of 90.99 N to keep the swing in equilibrium, considering the weight of the child and the swing seat. This is determined by using the equilibrium of torques and solving for the horizontal force using trigonometric functions.
Mo
Just a quick question which i don't seem to get the right answer for.

"A parent holds a small child in a swing so that the angle of the swing support is at 20 degrees to the vertical.The child's weight is 200N and the swing seat weighs 50N.What horizontal force must the parent apply"

I have drawn out what it think the vector diagram should look like.

http://img10.exs.cx/img10/1613/diagram6na.gif

I don't think its right.

Assuming that it is .. we would need to use sin/cos/tan. We have both the adjacent and the opposite.So that means we would need to use "Tan"

Tan 70 = 250/adjacent

250/Tan 70 = adjacent (horizontal) which would = 90.99 N .. the answer in the book however is 72.8 N ...

Some help please!

Regards,
Mo

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need to use, is equilibrium of torques about (most naturally) the supporting hinge.

The tension in the string will adapt itself so that equilibrium of forces is established.

So, you must compute the torques of gravity and the horizontally applied force, and ensure that no net torque appears (assume a massless string).

Thanks for the reply, i think i can understand what you are saying ... but i still seem to be going round in circles getting the same answer.Is there anyway you could explain a little more please.Even a very quick , rough workthrough would be apreciated.

thanks

Regards,
Mo

All right:
Let [tex]\vec{r}=L(\sin\theta\vec{i}-\cos\theta\vec{j}),\theta=20[/tex]
be the distance vector from the hinge down to the child.
Let [tex]\vec{W}=-(M_{child}+M_{seat})g\vec{j}[/tex]
be the combined weight, and [tex]\vec{F}=F\vec{i}[/tex]
be the horizontal force applied.
The equilibrium of moments about the hinge requires:
[tex]\vec{r}\times\vec{W}+\vec{r}\times\vec{F}=\vec{0}[/tex]
Or:
[tex]-L\sin\theta(M_{c}+M_{s})g\vec{k}+L\cos\theta{F}\vec{k}=0\vec{k}[/tex]
Or:
[tex]F=\tan\theta(M_{c}+M_{s})g[/tex]

Related to Swing Force Calculation: Solve for Horizontal Force

1. What is swing force calculation?

Swing force calculation is a method used to determine the amount of force needed to move an object horizontally on a swing. This calculation takes into account factors such as the weight of the object, the length of the swing's ropes, and the angle of the swing.

2. Why is it important to calculate swing force?

Calculating swing force is important because it allows us to understand the amount of force required to move an object on a swing, which is crucial for safety and efficiency. It also helps us design and build swings that are appropriate for different age and weight ranges.

3. What are the key components of swing force calculation?

The key components of swing force calculation include the object's weight, the length of the swing's ropes, and the angle of the swing. These factors are used to determine the amount of force needed to move the swing horizontally.

4. How is swing force calculated?

Swing force is typically calculated using the formula F = m * g * l * sinθ, where F is the horizontal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, l is the length of the swing's ropes, and θ is the angle of the swing.

5. What are some common applications of swing force calculation?

Swing force calculation is commonly used in engineering and physics, particularly in the design of playground equipment and amusement rides. It is also used in sports, such as determining the force needed to hit a baseball on a swing or to perform tricks on a skateboard or snowboard.