Swimming pool heating problem

In summary, turning off the heating system for a month and then reheating it from base temperature would be less expensive than keeping the heating on.
lauraaa
I need to work out the most cost effective way to maintain a swimming pool in a UK holiday complex that is closing for 1 month in January and hope that someone can help.

I would like to know if it would be cheaper to turn off the heating system for a month and then reheat it from base temperature or keep the heating on.

The pool is 10m x4m and is 1.4m deep
The ambient air temperature can be kept at 20 degrees Celsius but this could also be turned off.
The pool and the air is heated by an oil boiler

So I guess the question is in principle does it use less energy to allow the temperature to drop all the way and then heat it up rather than to just maintain it.

Thank you in advance

Science news on Phys.org
lauraaa said:
So I guess the question is in principle does it use less energy to allow the temperature to drop all the way and then heat it up rather than to just maintain it.
There's no single answer "in principle".

How much fuel is burned in a typical month keeping the pool heated? You're going to compare that number with a back-of-the-envelope calculation of how much fuel would be burned to reheat the pool.

Ok, so I would need to know what temperature the pool would drop to. Do you know if it would drop to the ambient air temperature or could it get colder? Thanks

Suppose the time interval were 100 years instead of 1 month. What would your answer to that be?

Chet

Likes billy_joule
Actually, guys, since the OP doesn't ask "how much", only "which is more" (edit: or, at least, that's the bottom line question), there IS an easy, in principle answer to the question:

You use more energy maintaining a constant temperature because the heat loss is proportional to temperature difference. So as the pool cools, the heat loss rate drops.

Last edited:
Likes billy_joule, sophiecentaur and Chestermiller
Warning - if the water freezes you are in trouble.

russ_watters said:
Actually, guys, since the OP doesn't ask "how much", only "which is more" (edit: or, at least, that's the bottom line question), there IS an easy, in principle answer to the question:

You use more energy maintaining a constant temperature because the heat loss is proportional to temperature difference. So as the pool cools, the heat loss rate drops.

Hmmm - yes - you're right. To minimize the energy consumption, the winning strategy is to stop heating the pool any time that it's not required to be at its operational temperature and heat it back to that temperature whenever it is needed.

That does mean that sometimes the pool will be unavailable while it's warming up, and the important piece of information that we need is: What is the cost (lost revenue, angry customers) of that period of unavailability? That can range from zero (scheduled shutdown during the off-season, reheating complete when the doors open for the new season) to very high. In this case, OP has already told us that it's a scheduled off-season shutdown so it's easy.

Related to Swimming pool heating problem

1. What is the most efficient way to heat a swimming pool?

The most efficient way to heat a swimming pool is through the use of a solar pool heater. This method utilizes the energy from the sun to heat the pool water, reducing the use of electricity or gas. Other options include heat pumps and gas heaters, but they are less efficient and can be more costly in the long run.

2. How long does it take to heat a swimming pool?

The time it takes to heat a swimming pool depends on the size of the pool, the type of heating system, and the temperature difference between the desired temperature and the current temperature. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day to heat a pool.

3. Can I use a pool cover to help heat my pool?

Yes, a pool cover can help retain heat and keep the pool warmer. It can also prevent heat loss at night when the temperature drops. However, it should not be relied on as the sole source of heating and should be used in conjunction with a proper heating system.

4. What is the ideal temperature for a swimming pool?

The ideal temperature for a swimming pool is subjective and can vary depending on personal preference. However, the recommended temperature range for a pool is between 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit. This range provides a comfortable temperature for swimming and also helps to minimize energy costs.

5. How can I reduce the cost of heating my swimming pool?

To reduce the cost of heating a swimming pool, consider investing in a solar pool heater, which utilizes renewable energy and can significantly lower operating costs. Additionally, using a pool cover, keeping the pool well-maintained, and limiting the amount of time the pool is heated can also help reduce costs.