Swimming across a river question

In summary, the swimmer is standing on the west bank of a river 600 m wide with a current of 3.0 m/s and a swimming speed of 5.0 m/s in still water. If the swimmer swims due east, it would take 140 seconds to get across the river. However, the minimum time to get across the river would be 120 seconds if the swimmer starts at an angle and ends up directly across from their starting point. The swimmer's position would be opposite from where they started. The eastward component of the swimmer's velocity can be calculated using the resultant of their velocity and the river's velocity. With all their strength, the swimmer can cross the river eastward
ninetyfour

Homework Statement

A swimmer is standing on the west bank of a river 600 m wide. The current in the river is 3.0m/s and the swimmer can swim 5.0 m/s in still water.

a) If the swimmer swims due east, what is the time it takes to get across the river?
b) What is the minimum time to get across the river?
c) Where does the swimmer end up when he travels in minimum time?

Homework Equations

t = d/v

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, apparently I did it wrong, but I can't figure out where my logic went wrong. I had this question on my exam today, and afterward, everyone I talked to did it differently from me, so I know I'm wrong.

a) Okay, so I figured if the swimmer points himself directly across the river, the current would push him down. So, thinking of it as a triangle, I used the velocities to find the angle, then the angle and the width of the river to find the hypoteneuse distance, the distance I thought he would travel. Then I did d / v to get time as 140 seconds.

Apparently I should have used the width of the river (600 m)...which I did for:

b) Okay, so for minimum time, I thought this would occur if the swimmer travels the exact width of the river meaning he has to start at an angle. So if he started at the angle I found in part a, he would end up going directly across. So I did t = 600 / v to get 120 seconds.

Apparently the answer to this should have been that the minimum time is what I found in a) (which should have been 120).

c) Well I said with the minimum time, the swimmer would have made it directly across and his position would be opposite from where he started.

Obviously if a and b were wrong, that is too.

Can someone help me see where I went wrong with the logic? D:
I know this question is pretty easy and straightforward, but I tend to mess those ones up the most...

Physics news on Phys.org
a. An observer standing on the bank of the river sees him swimming due East. The swimmer arrives at a place directly across his starting point. This means that the resultant of the swimmer's velocity and the velocity of the river points to East. So the swimming velocity has an upstream component. What is the eastward component?
b. The swimmer swims with all his strength across the river eastward, looking at his compass ( he was clever and took one with him). How long does it take to cross the river now?
c. During this time the flow carried him downstream. How far?

1. How do you determine the optimal direction and speed when swimming across a river?

The optimal direction and speed when swimming across a river can be determined by taking into account the speed and direction of the current, the distance of the river, and your own swimming ability. It is important to swim at a slight angle against the current to avoid being carried downstream, and to adjust your speed accordingly to reach the opposite bank.

2. What safety precautions should be taken when attempting to swim across a river?

Before attempting to swim across a river, it is important to assess the depth and strength of the current, as well as any potential hazards such as rocks or debris. It is also recommended to wear a life jacket and have a flotation device readily available. It is also important to have a plan and someone on shore to assist in case of emergency.

3. Can you swim across any river?

No, it is not safe to swim across every river. Factors such as the width, depth, and current strength of a river should be taken into consideration before attempting to swim across it. Additionally, swimming across a river with dangerous animals or pollutants should be avoided.

4. What is the best stroke to use when swimming across a river?

The best stroke to use when swimming across a river is the front crawl or freestyle. This stroke allows for a faster and more efficient movement through the water, which can help counteract the force of the current. Breaststroke may also be used, but it is generally slower and less effective in strong currents.

5. What should I do if I get caught in a strong current while swimming across a river?

If you get caught in a strong current while swimming across a river, it is important to stay calm and not panic. Avoid trying to swim against the current, as this can quickly lead to exhaustion. Instead, swim parallel to the shore until you are out of the strong current, and then make your way back to shore. If you are unable to reach shore, float on your back and try to signal for help.