SUSY computational questions:dots

In summary, the conversation discusses spinors as objects carrying the basis representation of SL(2,C) and how they relate to SU(2)XSU(2) sectors. The use of an inner product between spinors and the introduction of minus signs for indices is also mentioned. The conversation then delves into some identities and the origin of the minus sign in the equation. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the treatment of spinors and twistors in calculations.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi, I'm reading Bilal's notes on SUSY, hep-th/0101055v1, and have some computational questions.

So I understand that spinors can be seen as objects carrying the basis rep. of SL(2,C), and how SO(3,1) is locally isomorphic to SU(2)XSU(2), giving basically two "sectors". With dots and bars we indicate in which SU(2) algebra the specific spinor is sitting.

We can introduce an inner product between spinors via

[tex]
\epsilon^{12}=\epsilon^{\dot{1}\dot{2}}=-\epsilon^{21}=-\epsilon^{\dot{2}\dot{1}}=1
[/tex]

and an opposite sign for the indices down.

Now, some identities are mentioned, such as (eq.2.15)

[tex]
\xi\sigma^{\mu}\bar{\psi} = -\bar{\psi}\bar{\sigma}^{\mu}\xi
[/tex]

How can I proof this? What's the origin of that minus-sign? And how do I contract the indices exactly in this equation? I'm a little confused, so to speak :)

Physics news on Phys.org
haushofer said:
Hi, I'm reading Bilal's notes on SUSY, hep-th/0101055v1, and have some computational questions.

So I understand that spinors can be seen as objects carrying the basis rep. of SL(2,C), and how SO(3,1) is locally isomorphic to SU(2)XSU(2), giving basically two "sectors". With dots and bars we indicate in which SU(2) algebra the specific spinor is sitting.

We can introduce an inner product between spinors via

[tex]
\epsilon^{12}=\epsilon^{\dot{1}\dot{2}}=-\epsilon^{21}=-\epsilon^{\dot{2}\dot{1}}=1
[/tex]

and an opposite sign for the indices down.

Now, some identities are mentioned, such as (eq.2.15)

[tex]
\xi\sigma^{\mu}\bar{\psi} = -\bar{\psi}\bar{\sigma}^{\mu}\xi
[/tex]

How can I proof this? What's the origin of that minus-sign? And how do I contract the indices exactly in this equation? I'm a little confused, so to speak :)

The indices look like this:

[tex]\xi^{a}\sigma^{\mu}_{a\dot{b}}\bar{\psi}^{\dot{b}}=-\bar{\psi}^{\dot{b}}\sigma^{\mu}_{a\dot{b}}\xi^{a}=-\bar{\psi}_{\dot{b}}\bar{\sigma}^{\mu}^{\dot{b} a}\xi_{a} [/tex]

The negative sign in the 2nd line comes from swapping two fermion fields which anticommute. In the third line, we lowered and raised some indices with the Levi-Civita an even number of times, so there is no sign change (you can verify that for two spinors, [tex] \psi^a \xi_a=-\psi_a \xi^a[/tex], so you have to be careful if you're swapping indices only once). By definition, [tex]\bar{\sigma}^{\dot{b} a}[/tex] is what you get when you raise the indices of [tex]\sigma_{a \dot{b}} [/tex]

When you write spinors in terms of the indices, you do not have to include "anti-commuting negative signs", this is encoded in the order of the index contractions. Also, it's good practice to rewrite contractions with epsilons. Therefore, according to the conventions in the article, the steps are:
[tex]\chi^{\alpha} \sigma_{\alpha\dot{\alpha}} \bar{\psi}^{\dot{\alpha}} =\bar{\psi}^{\dot{\alpha}} \sigma_{\alpha\dot{\alpha}} \chi^{\alpha}
=-\bar{\psi}^{\dot{\alpha}} \sigma_{\dot{\alpha}\alpha} \chi^{\alpha}
=-\bar{\psi}^{\dot{\alpha}} \epsilon_{\dot{\alpha}\dot{\beta}}\epsilon_{\alpha\beta}\bar{\sigma}^{\dot{\beta}\beta} \chi^{\alpha}
=-\bar{\psi}_{\dot{\beta}}\bar{\sigma}^{\dot{\beta}\beta} \chi_{\beta}
[/tex]

This is explained in great detail in the QFT book by Srednicki. You can find a draft copy free at his web page.

You basically state the origin of the sign: indices are contracted through an antisymmetric tensor rather than a symmetric one. Therefore the order of upper and lower indices matter! And it also matters which component you use to lower or raise an index using the epsilon tensor. One has to keep careful track of the conventions you use.

[tex]\chi^\alpha \xi_\alpha = (\chi_\beta \epsilon^{\alpha\beta}) \xi_\alpha = \chi_\beta (\epsilon^{\alpha\beta} \xi_\alpha) = -\chi_\beta (\epsilon^{\beta\alpha} \xi_\alpha) = -\chi_\beta\xi^\beta[/tex]

Here I used the convention for the inner product:
[tex]\chi \cdot \xi \equiv \chi^\alpha\xi_\alpha[/tex]
and the one for raising:
[tex]\xi^\beta= \epsilon^{\beta\alpha} \xi_\alpha[/tex]

This leads automatically to the statement that [tex]\chi \cdot \xi = - \xi \cdot \chi[/tex], which is a bit unconventional if you're just used to ordinary tensor contractions.

Ok, thanks for the answers! So I don't have to introduce minus signs if I swap spinors, but only if I swap indices which concern contractions involving spinors, right?

Let me take the next example:

[tex]
(\xi \sigma \bar{\psi})^{\dagger} = \psi\sigma\bar{\xi}
[/tex]

So in indices the LHS is, I would say,

[tex]
(\xi^a\sigma_{a\dot{b}}\bar{\psi}^{\dot{b}})^{\dagger} = (\bar{\psi}^{\dot{b}})^{\dagger}\sigma^{\dagger}_{a\dot{b}}\xi^{a}^{\dagger}
[/tex]

I'm tempted to identify

[tex]
(\bar{\psi}^{\dot{b}})^{\dagger} = \psi^b
[/tex]

etc, but what happens with the indices of sigma here?

I'll also look at Srednicki, thanks for the tip!

xepma said:
This leads automatically to the statement that [itex]\chi \cdot \xi = - \xi \cdot \chi[/itex], which is a bit unconventional if you're just used to ordinary tensor contractions.
This is true only if your treat [itex]\chi[/itex] and [itex]\xi[/itex] as commuting. If they are anitcommuting, then you have an extra minus sign from the anticommutation, leading to an overall plus sign.

haushofer said:
but what happens with the indices of sigma here?
Srednicki explains it.

I ought to mention that the way I did the problem is entirely the way that Srednicki teaches it in his excellent textbook. Obviously there seems to be other ways of doing it and I'm going to have a look at all them because I'm sort of confused now about the difference between twistors and spinors, i.e., once we multiply out 4-Dirac spinors, shouldn't we treat the components as twistors and not spinors?

Related to SUSY computational questions:dots

1. What is SUSY in computational questions?

SUSY stands for Supersymmetry, a theoretical concept in physics that proposes the existence of a fundamental symmetry between particles with different spin. In computational questions, it is used to study the behavior and properties of particles in high-energy physics.

2. How is SUSY used in computational research?

SUSY is used in computational research to predict the behavior of particles at high energies, such as those found in particle accelerators. It also helps to reconcile inconsistencies between different theories in physics and provides a framework for understanding the fundamental forces of nature.

3. What are the major challenges in computing SUSY theories?

The major challenge in computing SUSY theories is the complexity of the calculations involved. This is due to the large number of particles and interactions that need to be considered, making it a computationally intensive task. Additionally, the lack of experimental evidence for SUSY adds to the difficulty in verifying the accuracy of computational results.

4. What are some applications of SUSY computational research?

SUSY computational research has many potential applications in fields such as cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. It can help in understanding the origin of dark matter, the behavior of the early universe, and the properties of particles like the Higgs boson. It also has practical applications in developing new technologies, such as quantum computing and high-energy particle detectors.

5. What is the future of SUSY computational research?

The future of SUSY computational research is promising, as it continues to be a topic of interest and study for scientists. With advances in computing power and experimental techniques, it is hoped that more evidence for SUSY will be found, furthering our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. Additionally, the development of new computational methods and algorithms will make it easier to study and test SUSY theories in the future.