Susskind on black hole in collider experiment

In summary, Leonard Susskind mentioned scientists creating a black hole in a collider using string theory and extra dimensions. He did not give too much information as it may not have been confirmed. The experiment in question may be discussed in "Solving quantum field theories via curved spacetimes" by Klebanov and Maldacena. This paper relates the thermodynamic and transport properties of a strongly coupled QFT to properties of black hole geometry, and discusses the possibility of a new state of matter being produced at RHIC. This state of matter behaves more like a liquid than a plasma, which aligns with predictions from the gauge/gravity duality.
blackfork
In a video I watched, which I can't find now, Leonard Susskind briefly mentions something about scientists recently creating what seemed to be a black hole in a collider (not the LHC). He said that the scientists needed to use string theory and extra dimensions to make sense of it. Something like that. He didn't seem to want to jump the gun about it or give too much info, that perhaps it hadn't been confirmed or something like that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction about this? I'd like to find out more about the experiment in question, and maybe figure out which video that was.

Thanks.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe "Solving quantum field theories via curved spacetimes" by Klebanov and Maldacena, accessible from http://motls.blogspot.com/2009/01/klebanov-and-maldacena-about-hyperbolic.html

"Thermodynamic and transport properties of a strongly coupled QFT are related to properties of the black hole geometry. ... RHIC is believed to have produced a new state of matter, which was originally dubbed the quark–gluon plasma. Experiments at RHIC established that the matter behaves more like a liquid than a plasma because its viscosity is much smaller than had been expected. Interestingly, when the gauge/gravity duality is applicable, it also predicts a low value for the viscosity."

I can assure you that creating a black hole in a collider is not a simple or easy task. It requires a deep understanding of the laws of physics and cutting-edge technology. While I cannot confirm or deny the existence of this experiment without more information, I can say that it is an exciting and intriguing concept that could potentially provide valuable insights into the nature of black holes and the universe.

If you are interested in learning more about this experiment, I suggest looking into the work of Leonard Susskind and his colleagues, who are leaders in the field of string theory and extra dimensions. Additionally, you may want to search for recent scientific papers or news articles on the topic, as they may provide more information and insights into the experiment. Keep in mind that scientific breakthroughs often take time to be confirmed and fully understood, so it is important to approach any information with a critical and open mind.

In the meantime, I would encourage you to continue to explore and learn about the fascinating world of theoretical physics. Who knows, you may even become a part of the next groundbreaking experiment!

Related to Susskind on black hole in collider experiment

1. What is the "Susskind on black hole in collider experiment"?

The "Susskind on black hole in collider experiment" refers to a thought experiment proposed by physicist Leonard Susskind, which examines the possibility of creating microscopic black holes in particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

2. How would the creation of black holes in colliders affect our world?

According to the experiment, the microscopic black holes created in colliders would be unstable and would evaporate almost instantly due to Hawking radiation. This means that there would be no significant impact on our world.

3. Is the "Susskind on black hole in collider experiment" supported by scientific evidence?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the creation of black holes in colliders. The LHC has been operating for many years and has not produced any evidence of microscopic black holes.

4. What are the potential risks of conducting the "Susskind on black hole in collider experiment"?

Some scientists have raised concerns about the potential risks of creating black holes in colliders, such as the possibility of these black holes growing and swallowing the Earth. However, these risks are considered extremely unlikely and are not supported by scientific evidence.

5. What can we learn from the "Susskind on black hole in collider experiment"?

The thought experiment allows us to explore the behavior of black holes on a microscopic level and gain a better understanding of their properties. It also highlights the importance of carefully considering the potential risks and benefits of scientific experiments.