Suspended Ring - Masses Released - Find Condition for Ring to Move Up

• Thread starter Chileboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Ring
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ring suspended by a cord from the ceiling and two equal masses sliding down on either side of the ring without friction. The question is what condition must the masses meet in order for the ring to move up. After some discussion and speculation, it is suggested that the normal reaction between the ring and the masses is what causes the ring to move up, particularly if the masses are elastic. This is further explored by considering the concept of spacetime.
Chileboy
I'm having trouble with this problem...

A ring (mass = M) is suspended by an ideal cord from the ceiling, two equal masses (mass = m) are released from the top of the ring and slide down, one on either side of the ring, without friction. The question is:
What condition must the masses meet in order for the ring to move up?

I'm having trouble imagining it, I can't see which force could make the ring go up.

I'd apreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ring and masses

As far as I see it, as the masses reach the lower half of the ring, there is a normal reaction acting on them exerted by the ring. But that is in the upward direction.

But after they collide at the bottom, they ( if they are elastic ) start moving up again and in the process, the normal recation exerted by the ring is downwards, and on the ring by the masses is upwards. Probably that is what makes it go up.

spacetime
http://www.geocities.com/physics_all/index.html

Hi there,

I understand that this problem can be a bit difficult to visualize, but let's break it down step by step to understand the physics behind it.

Firstly, we need to understand that the ring is suspended from the ceiling by an ideal cord. This means that the cord has no mass and does not stretch, and therefore only exerts a tension force on the ring.

Next, we have two equal masses (m) that are released from the top of the ring. These masses will slide down the ring without any friction, which means that the only forces acting on them are their weight (mg) and the tension force from the cord.

Now, in order for the ring to move up, there must be a net force acting on it in the upward direction. This means that the tension force from the cord must be greater than the weight of the ring and the two masses combined. Mathematically, we can represent this as:

Tension force > Weight of ring + 2(mg)

Since the masses are equal, we can rewrite this as:

Tension force > Weight of ring + 2(mg) = Mg + 2(mg)

Simplifying further, we get:

Tension force > (M+2m)g

Therefore, the condition for the ring to move up is that the tension force from the cord must be greater than the weight of the ring and the two masses combined, which can be expressed as Tension force > (M+2m)g.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem for you. Remember, it's always important to break down the problem and consider all the forces acting on the objects involved. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it!

Related to Suspended Ring - Masses Released - Find Condition for Ring to Move Up

1. What is a suspended ring?

A suspended ring refers to a ring that is attached to a fixed point by a string or rod, allowing it to move freely in a vertical direction.

2. How are masses released in this experiment?

In this experiment, masses are released by removing them from the suspended ring, causing them to fall freely towards the ground.

3. What is the condition for the ring to move up?

The condition for the ring to move up is when the total weight of the masses released is greater than the weight of the ring itself.

4. How can I find the condition for the ring to move up?

The condition for the ring to move up can be found by calculating the total weight of the masses released and comparing it to the weight of the ring. If the total weight is greater, the ring will move up.

5. What factors can affect the movement of the ring?

The movement of the ring can be affected by the weight of the masses released, the weight of the ring, and the strength of the string or rod used to suspend the ring. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in the movement of the ring.