Survival probability solar neutrinos

In summary: I think what you are trying to say is that the different solar neutrino lines have different survival probabilities because the MSW effect plays a role. Is that correct?Yes, that is correct.
TheWire247
I am trying to explain why why the survival probability for solar neutrinos is different for different neutrino solar lines, and what causes this difference.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "different for solar neutrino lines"? Different from what? Also, what is your exact question?

Sorry, I have corrected the question now. I need some help explaining it. I am referring to the solar neutrino energy spectrum

You need to provide a more specific question and inform us about your current level of understanding if we are going to have any chance of helping you at an appropriate level. There are several good reviews on this subject available online. Keywords to look out for (in addition to the obvious) are MSW effect and adiabatic flavour conversion.

My understanding of solar neutrino physics is pretty basic as I'm currently trying to get to grips with this field. I have a reasonable understanding of particle physics in general.

This still tells us nothing of what specific problem you are having. You need to show what you have been thinking so far and where you get into trouble. This is a standard derivation that will be available in any neutrino physics review.

From what I can tell the lower the energy the better the survival probability i.e. pp neutrinos have a better survival probability than 8B neutrinos. I'm not sure how this relates to the MSW effect. I am looking at this purely qualitatively.

Could there be some effect from neutrino-neutrino interactions in the sun's neutrinosphere?

At high energies, the solar interior is so dense that neutrinos produced there are produced almost exclusively in the second neutrino matter eigenstate. Propagation is adiabatic so the neutrinos exit the Sun and arrive at Earth in the second mass eigenstate, which only has a minor component of electron neutrino which gives a probability less than 0.5.

For low energy neutrinos, the solar interior is not dense enough to reach resonance energies and the transitions are essentially averaged vacuum oscillations which always has a survival probability greater than 0.5.

TheWire247 said:
Could there be some effect from neutrino-neutrino interactions in the sun's neutrinosphere?
No. The Sun does not have a neutrino sphere and the neutrino density is waaaaay to low for it to have any kind of impact.

Orodruin said:
For low energy neutrinos, the solar interior is not dense enough to reach resonance energies and the transitions are essentially averaged vacuum oscillations which always has a survival probability greater than 0.5.

Could you explain a little what you mean by that? :sorry:

ChrisVer said:
Could you explain a little what you mean by that? :sorry:
Which part?

that the "transitions are averaged vacuum oscillations"

There are several reasons the vacuum oscillations average out. One of them is that vacuum oscillations of plane waves would be so fast that no detector could resolve them. My favourite is that with reasonable assumptions on the wave packet sizes and velocities, the wave packets would separate before arriving on Earth, giving complete loss of the interference between the mass eigenstates and, thus, remove the oscillatin terms from the survival probability (and from the transition probability too, of course).

Related to Survival probability solar neutrinos

1. What are solar neutrinos and why is their survival probability important?

Solar neutrinos are subatomic particles that are constantly emitted by the sun. Their survival probability refers to the likelihood that they will reach Earth without being absorbed or scattered by other particles. This is important because it helps us understand the internal processes of the sun and test the laws of physics.

2. How is the survival probability of solar neutrinos determined?

The survival probability of solar neutrinos is determined by measuring the flux of neutrinos at Earth and comparing it to the expected flux based on the number of neutrinos emitted by the sun. This can be done using various types of detectors, such as the Super-Kamiokande detector in Japan.

3. What factors affect the survival probability of solar neutrinos?

The survival probability of solar neutrinos can be affected by several factors, including the distance the neutrinos have to travel, the density of matter they encounter, and their energy level. The type of neutrino (electron, muon, or tau) can also play a role.

4. How does the survival probability of solar neutrinos change over time?

The survival probability of solar neutrinos changes over time due to the natural evolution of the sun and its nuclear reactions. It is also affected by external events, such as solar flares or changes in the Earth's magnetic field.

5. What are the implications of changes in the survival probability of solar neutrinos?

Changes in the survival probability of solar neutrinos can have significant implications for our understanding of the sun and the laws of physics. It can also impact our ability to accurately predict the behavior of the sun, which is important for space weather forecasting and potential applications of solar energy.